mash time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exc503

Reaction score
So as I make the jump to partial mash and all grain, I have been doing dome research and it appears that the mashing times vary quite a but from one source to another, I.e. dome say 45 min some say 60 and others say 90. Is there any rule to this. I understand that conversion takes about 45 min.

It depends on what you're brewing and the OG you're trying to achieve based on your grain bill. I'd say the average is 60 minutes for most followed by 10-15 more minutes if you batch sparge.
Your boil times can also vary. Most ales are 60 minutes but you'll see 90 minute boils particularly if your grain bill has a lot of Pilsen. It's needed to eliminate DMS.
Read Palmer & others for more detail.

So as I make the jump to partial mash and all grain, I have been doing dome research and it appears that the mashing times vary quite a but from one source to another, I.e. dome say 45 min some say 60 and others say 90. Is there any rule to this. I understand that conversion takes about 45 min.

Yes, i have heard all those numbers too. With the highly modified malt we have today most recipes will get full conversion in 45 minutes at normal mash temps.

But 60 is safer as a rule when people throw out a number. If you mash cooler or use a greater percentage of specialty malt.

I have done 90 minutes when I mashed in the low 140F range and I wanted to be sure it was all going to convert.... but 60min would have probably worked. I'd just rather be sure and never have to test for starch.

We did our first partial mash about two weeks ago, went about it a bit blind really, started with a clone recipe to test the waters a bit, instructions were for a 90 min mash at 151, we are using a cooler mash tun, which I now realize I have to pre heat, but in the end we mashed at 148 for 90 min. Prob will yeild slightly lighter bush than planned for. Any tips on maintaining proper temp, I.e. do you over heat and let cool to compensate for temp loss to room temp grains and equipment

How about a stout? Rough numbers. I know some will say 60 mins depending on this or that. 90 mins here. I'm recofiguring recipe now. So, not really dealing with old grain bill. Constanlty changing. Oh such fun

25518 said:
How about a stout? Rough numbers. I know some will say 60 mins depending on this or that. 90 mins here. I'm recofiguring recipe now. So, not really dealing with old grain bill. Constanlty changing. Oh such fun

It depends on what type of stout & any adjuncts used.

Back