Keggle moron needing assistance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bock_Lesnar

Reaction score
So as the title might suggest, I've just bought two 1/2 barrel kegs and, despite a ton of googling and searching this place, still can't quite decode what I'm going to need to convert these things into a working keggle.

I'll be using the two kegs for a HLT and boil kettle for now, with a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler as a mash tun.

My issue isn't so much that there isn't enough information, it's that there's almost too much different information and I can't narrow down exactly what I need to build the tap. Compounding the issue is the fact that we don't have as wide a range or selection down here in New Zealand, so I'm pretty much getting all my stuff from one site - http://www.hoseshop.co.nz/newsite/our-products

So with all this in mind, here are some questions:

1. What from this selection and in terms of seals etc would I need to get to allow me to fit this?

2. From that valve I've just listed, what sort of attachment do I need to step it down so that I can attach tubing to transfer between vessels?

Apologies for the potentially stupid questions, I am just at a loss in terms of what is the best approach to all this, given all of it is completely outside of my wheelhouse, so to speak. Any help massively appreciated.

One thing I've learned from drilling kegs is make sure you pay attention to where the holes are in the side for the base. They act like heat vents that shoot flame right into a ball valve if you don't position it right.
You could probably use this to attach the valve.
ss_fit_hexnipple.jpg

I see that site has the cam lock fittings. Those are my favorites by far. Great quick disconnects that will last your lifetime and probably your grandchildren as well.

bargainfittings.com has keggle bulkhead kits. That's what you need to install a valve for transfers. You'll get a nipple, valve, silicone o-ring, lock-nut, and order a male hose-barb (1/2" probably) as well.

Back