Perlick Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pascott6

Reaction score
Why would my tap leak when i put it back in the off position? It feels sponge when pushing back to off position.
Any help please

Take the faucet apart and soak all the pieces in an Oxyclean solution. Re-assemble and see if it still leaks. The reason could be some build up of gunk on the seal. If the seal that closes the flow of beer is visibly bad, there is another one in the faucet that it can be switched with. The two are interchangeable.

You should also try Perlicks web site for additional cleaning information.

EDIT: I should say the o-rings are interchangeable on the 525, not sure about the other models.

Try tightening the nut where the stem comes out of the Perlick for your tap handle. It is often shipped a little loose (or works its way loose). I've had to give mine a quater turn in the past and the leak stopped. Worth a shot.

I had the same thing happen awhile back. I was fiddling with it and turned the tap handle clockwise a few times and it stopped. It seemed to work so, worth a shot I guess. :)

If it feels "spongy" when closing, the bonnet may be too tight. Because Perls rely on hydraulic pressure to remain closed, if you hinder the movement of the faucet lever there may not be enough pressure to make and keep a good seal. And you can also overtighten the bonnet enough that the upper o-ring gets pinched out of position.

My favorite 525/575 diagram. The bonnet is #7. And the two #2 o-rings can indeed by interchanged. I recommend a good cleaning, then a very light film of keg lube on those #2 o-rings before reassembly. Then set the bonnet so the faucet lever travels smoothly to the stop...
perlick_525ss_part.gif

Cheers!

Back