Ellie's brown clone, IBUS? and that flavor of green beer questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amh0001

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a couple questions for ya.

First off I am going to attempt to clone Ellie's Brown from Avery. I think it is bad ass they give the recipe on their website:
http://averybrewing.com/brewery/recipes-for-homebrewers/

Here is what I have plugged into beer smith, but the IBU's show so low. The website says 28 IBU's, but beersmith only shows 8. Is this a calculation error on part of the 0 min addition? I'm using regar.

Recipe: Ellies Brown orginal
Style: American Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.46 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.46 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 4.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 23.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 8.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs 2.6 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.6 %
13.1 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.2 %
9.8 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.1 %
6.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.1 %
0.13 oz Bullion [7.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 4.6 IBUs
0.32 oz Sterling [5.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 3.9 IBUs
1.01 oz Sterling [5.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs

Now, onto my second question:

I notice when my beer is brand new, it has more of a grainy flavor. As time goes on (1 week) that falls out, as the beer matures? I really enjoy that malty grainy flavor, and I would like to have it up front in my beers. I notice as the beer ages the flavor is still somewhat there but its in the end and not up front. How could I maintain that malty flavor? I noticed this in Biermuncher cent ale, and also in Jamils scottish 60.

Thank you!

I can't look at the IBU question right now. It's before 5am here and my brain isn't working that way yet. I'm killing time and drinking some water before I go back to sleep.

As far as the flavor, do you mean grainy as in gritty or grainy as in bready or doughy?

I always think of green beer flavor as sharp, intense, bitting.

Yep, that's really 8 IBUs. The problem is that you aren't going to get many IBUs from a 1/8 ounce hop addition (the Bullion), even if it was a 16%AA hop. I mean that would only increase the IBU to 11.

Flameout editions will not result in many IBUs unless you do a hop stand or whirlpool. And I don't know how to calculate those IBUs.

Either they typoed something in the hop schedule or forgot to include another addition.

I have played with some of those recipes in Brewtarget and I don't think the hops scaled down correctly in the recipes. I wonder if they are grams instead of ounces. 13 grams would be close to .5 oz.

My club will be serving clone versions of several Avery beers at a festival this weekend. When we started playing with the recipes we noticed the IBUs were really low. Upon contacting the Avery brewers, they replied that the scaling wasn't correct because they typically do 90 minute whirlpools at flameout and maintain 180+ degrees throughout. They said they get IBUs from this process that a homebrewer would not. Their suggestion was to play with early additions to get the proper IBUs. If I can find the email with Avery's response, I'll post it up.

One of our guys took on Ellie's and it was close, but the biggest difference was the bitterness and hop character.

Wow guys Thanks for the great replies. I just also emailed the brewery if they reply I will post the response.

Latest posts

Back