Lambic Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowabrew

Reaction score
I recently brewed up a sort of Belgian Dubbel, using wyeast 3522 as primary strain. After 3 weeks i moved half to another bucket and added about 1/3 of a lambic cake that has been sitting around for about a month. I haven't seen any new activity yet from it and it's been about 2 weeks. Do these things take some time to get going again?

I would think you would not see anything all of the sugar has been already consumed.

I assume your Labic had Breet or Lacto in it and it is going to work very slowly and you would need a very Air Tight fermentor to notice.

I have a IPA going in a Fermentor that does not seal all that well and I know it is going but the Airlock is not bubbling... The fermentor needs a new seal.

One way to check would be gravity readings...

If you took one at two weekes and could compare it against now???

Well my belgian finished at 1.012 so technically there is plenty of sugar still left for the brett, lacto, pedio, etc. Obviously the sacc in the Lambic blend was dead, that's why i primaried with the 3522. I've heard of others pitching onto sour cakes and having massive activity right away. I'm not worried about it just thought i'd see something by now.

I'll check out the ol' hydro later tonight and see if she's moved.

Back