Having hard time hitting final volume in beer smith... need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drakeskakes

Reaction score
I followed this brew sheet to the oz of water for a 5 gallon batch, and ended up with almost 3 extra gallons of wort. Because of which, I missed my OG by .020

I must be reading it wrong...I already mesaured out exactly how much dead space I have in the mash tun and in the boil pot and inputed those properly, and it still yielded way too much.

What was your calculated pre-boil volume in Beersmith, and did you stop your runoff once you reached that preboil volume?

What do you have your boil off rate set to in Beersmith?

Heres my volumes sheet
I didn't stopt he run off, because when I did this with my buddy he always had the exact right amount of water using this formula

Screen Shot 2013-05-01 at 9.59.09 AM.png

Gotcha. When you say you ended up with almost 3 extra gallons of wort, do you mean post boil? What was your total pre boil volume, and your total post boil volume?

It's likely two things: 1. You oversparged. When mashing and fly sparging, the volume of water you put in is greater than the volume of wort you take out. You don't need to run your mash tun dry; just stop collecting when you reach your pre boil volume (in your example, 7.37 gal) and/or pre boil gravity. 2. Sounds like this profile is set up for your buddy's equipment setup. If you are using a different equipment setup, the equipment profile might be different (specifically here, volume losses due to boil off, trub loss, etc). You may need to "dial in" your equipment in Beersmith.

Back