IPA - WCS with Amarillo/Simcoe/Citra hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lagger

Reaction score
Doing a fairly basic west coast style IPA, 1.070 OG, with 10 oz of hops. Looking for clean bitterness from mid additions & a good nose. I think I have an idea, however, looking for suggestions on how YOU'D hop/dryhop it :D

.5 Chinook
4 oz Amarillo
4 oz Simcoe
2 oz Citra

Thanks!

I'd probably not use the chinook, although I like it. It can be harsh and you want a "clean" bitterness. I'd probably use something else, like magnum. If you're stuck with the chinook, then it's best at bittering rather than the other varieties.

I didn't calculate the IBUs, but here's a guestimate of them and the way I'd do this, as I love simcoe/amarillo together.

.5 oz bittering hops (or to 40 IBUs with this addition)
1 oz simcoe 15 minutes
1 oz amarillo 10 minutes
1 oz simcoe 5 minutes
1 oz amarillo flame out
1 oz citra flame out
Dry hop 1 oz citra and 1 oz amarillo, and probably 1 oz simcoe

90 minute boil

0.50 oz. Chinook @ 75
1 oz. Simcoe @ 50
0.75 oz. Simcoe @ 25
1.25 oz. Simcoe @ 0
2 oz. Amarillo @ 0
1 oz. Simcoe @ DH
2 oz. Amarillo @ DH
2 oz. Citra @ DH

90 minute boil

0.50 oz. Chinook @ 75
1 oz. Simcoe @ 50
0.75 oz. Simcoe @ 25
1.25 oz. Simcoe @ 0
2 oz. Amarillo @ 0
1 oz. Simcoe @ DH
2 oz. Amarillo @ DH
2 oz. Citra @ DH

This is pretty darn close to what I was planning, with maybe not so much @ 0. I havent done a 90 boil yet, but might venture out this time, maybe 75 min or so. Good suggestion, thanks.

I'm torn whether to burn 5oz in DH or utilize in the boil. Leaning towards the former, with the above ratio. With a little more solid bitterness I was thinking a FWH, 60, 20, 10, whirlpool & DH. Opposed to the more standard 15/10/5. Thoughts?

I did a citra amarillo simcoe apa that was great. Dry hop was something like 1.5 oz each citra and amarillo, 1 oz simcoe. The aroma was amazing! A pint would stink up my whole basement. Wlp007.

90 minute boil

0.50 oz. Chinook @ 75
1 oz. Simcoe @ 50
0.75 oz. Simcoe @ 25
1.25 oz. Simcoe @ 0
2 oz. Amarillo @ 0
1 oz. Simcoe @ DH
2 oz. Amarillo @ DH
2 oz. Citra @ DH

Basically just brewed this but no chinook...I used Centennial for a FWH and 60 minute, then did 1/4 of each hop at 15, 5, 0 and dryhop. Its gonna be a hop bomb...though most of my brews are.

I'm torn whether to burn 5oz in DH or utilize in the boil. Leaning towards the former, with the above ratio.

I wouldn't say you're burning it. Tons of character will be released. I would recommend dryhopping in two, 4-5 day stages though with 2.5 oz. at each stage. Shorter bursts give you more fresh hop pop.

With a little more solid bitterness I was thinking a FWH, 60, 20, 10, whirlpool & DH. Opposed to the more standard 15/10/5. Thoughts?

75/50/25 will give you more solid bitterness than FWH/60/20. I tend to skip 20-5 minute additions and focus on bittering, whirlpool, and dryhop... with lesser focus on middle charges at 30 to help round the bitterness and offer more character.

Basically just brewed this but no chinook...I used Centennial for a FWH and 60 minute, then did 1/4 of each hop at 15, 5, 0 and dryhop. Its gonna be a hop bomb...though most of my brews are.

Nice!!

I wouldn't say you're burning it. Tons of character will be released. I would recommend dryhopping in two, 4-5 day stages though with 2.5 oz. at each stage. Shorter bursts give you more fresh hop pop.

Sounds good. On the 2 stage DH, I kinda want some simcoe nose to pull thru. Should I go DH1- 2.5 amarillo and DH2- 1.0 Sim & 1.5 Citra?...or just mix all 3 & divide into 2 additions?

Grist has some MO, and of course some sugar & gypsum in there :)

If you want Simcoe to shine through overall, then you have to focus on that in the DH. Both Citra & Amarillo will overpower it.

Just bottled this...it's amazing, tastes like rainbows. :fro:

Ended up doing 2 DH charges, 2 oz/3 days each. 1st with Amarillo/Citra & 2nd with Simcoe.

Siphoning with paint strainer bag was difficult with all those hops(pellets). Learning here & will be bagging the next DH go around in those amounts.

Thanks for all the help.

Back