Who loves big beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penabrewchef

Reaction score
I love big complex brews, so I am trying my first RIS. It's a big breakfast stout that started at 1.111 OG. 11 # lme. 2.2# molasses and 3.5 oz cluster hops at 60 mins. .5 oz fuggles. .5 oz cluster at 5 mins. Mashed 1# oatmeal with specialty grains and 1# 2 row at 154 for 1 hour. Added cocoa nibs and yeast nutrient @ 5 mins. After kreausen fell added 1# molasses, 1 qt cold brewed coffee, and 1 # brown ugar. Going to let sit in primary for 3 more weeks then rack to secondary for three months with bourbon an oak. Sound good o anyone? What big beers are you trying?

That sounds like a big beer. I like barleywines myself. I don't have anything planned for the immediate future, but I have some of two different batches from back in 2011 that I've been sitting on. Right now, I need to brew some more beer that will be ready to drink in the coming months, once I get stocked up, I'll do some things that should sit for a while.

I've got a nice big IIPA bottle conditioning right now. ABV came out to 9.3%. Really nice grapefruit and citrus notes. I'm also a big fan of RIS. I haven't brewed one yet, but I definitely will soon. I'd like to have a nice RIS pile for the winter.

"...and I cannot lie!"

Stouts especially, but huge IIPAs, too. And thank goodness 25Kilo bags of base malt aren't punitively priced!

I always have a keg of my 110 point "triple chocolate honey imperial stout" (try fitting that on a tap handle ;) ) going, and right now I have another batch just about to be racked on top of 8 ounces of cocoa nibs that have been sitting in enough dark rum to cover and shaken whenever I pass through the kitchen.

It's my bed-time snack, and one hell of a soporific, all in one! (bite my wrinkled ass, Lunesta!) In fact....hang on a tick, I'm going for a nightcap right now...

....Oh, YUM!! This can't possibly be legal! (and it isn't - in Alabama, poor bastids!) Inspired by Young's Double on tap (not the canned crap), this stuff is just wonderful!

Anyway...Being as I've been brewing like an insane person and the pipeline is running at maximum capacity with all six faucets serving and 8 more kegs backing them up, I've recently started up a science project batch of a four-C hopped IIPA in the high-octane realm. And with an adjusted OG of 1.135 and a current SG of 1.010 (hydrometer - no refracts involved!) I'm pretty sure it's already passed that benchmark. Yet this crazy US-05 yeast cake is still totally rocking the carboy, so I'm pressing on to see where it all ends.

Like I said, it's a good thing big bags of base are still fairly cheap :drunk:

Cheers! ;)

Back