Have you used Mokutea Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawaiibboy

Reaction score
So I am going to be brewing a 3gal Motukea pale ale this weekend and am wondering what people's thoughts were on the Motukea hops? Flavor? Aroma? Pros Cons? Similar to?

From what I have heard they are a very clean citrus hop that isn't grapefruit-y. I love the citrus of cascade(grapefruit) but want to include a different citrus flavor/aroma into my lineup of beer.

Edited because auto-correct sucks.

Just realized auto-correct made it Mokutea... Should be Motukea. Guess I already had one too many...

Oh and here's the recipe:

Motukea Pale

Style: American Pale Ale OG: 1.046
Type: All Grain FG: 1.012
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 4.45 %
Calories: 150 IBU's: 34.44
Efficiency: 75 % Boil Size: 5.67 Gal
Color: 5.1 SRM Batch Size: 3.50 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.032 Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 14 days @ 68.0°F
Bottle/Keg 21 days @ 74.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
5.25 lbs 77.06 % Pale Malt (2 Row) US 60 mins 1.036
1.25 lbs 18.35 % Briess Vienna Malt 60 mins 1.036
5.00 ozs 4.59 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L 60 mins 1.035

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.50 ozs 21.68 Motukea 60 mins 7.50
0.15 ozs 5.00 Motukea 30 mins 7.50
0.30 ozs 6.46 Motukea 15 mins 7.50
0.15 ozs 1.30 Motukea 5 mins 7.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

Additions
(none)

Mash Profile
BIAB No Sparge 75 min @ 150.0°F
Add 24.03 qt water @ 156.3°F
Mashout 10 min @ 170.0°F
Heat to 170.0°F over 2 mins
Sparge
Sparge 0.00 qt ( 0.00 qt/lb ) of 170.0°F water over 60 mins

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
2.70 oz Table Sugar - Bottle Carbonation 74.0°F 2.30

Notes
MP

www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 2.834

Sent from my iPhone

It's definitely Motueka... and it's on my list of favorite hops. Nice citrus character with a hint of pepper. Similar to all the New Zealand hops available.

Gitmoe said:
It's definitely Motueka... and it's on my list of favorite hops. Nice citrus character with a hint of pepper. Similar to all the New Zealand hops available.

I have yet to try any NZ hops so this will be my first foray in that mystical island nation.

I think it's hillarious that it is so hard to spell it right. On two different hop guides it was Motukea and at my LHBS it's labeled as being Motukea.

I honestly trust all you here more though. Thanks for the input Gitmoe!

No problem. Here's the data sheet from the NZ growers association...

http://www.nzhops.co.nz/varieties/motueka.html

Hop Union also describes Motueka character as "lemon-lime, citrusy". I work at a LHBS so I get exposure to a lot of hop varieties. I think we carry about 80 different hops right now. I've really fallen in love with the New Zealand varieties.

Gitmoe said:
No problem. Here's the data sheet from the NZ growers association...

http://www.nzhops.co.nz/varieties/motueka.html

Hop Union also describes Motueka character as "lemon-lime, citrusy". I work at a LHBS so I get exposure to a lot of hop varieties. I think we carry about 80 different hops right now. I've really fallen in love with the New Zealand varieties.

I really need to get into these NZ hops. I love spicy citrus so when I made myamerican wheat I used cascade and saaz. If some of the NZ hops are similar to what they have actually been described as I won't need to use both saaz and cascade.

Used them for 60 & 30 minute bittering hops in an Imperial Hefe.

Don't think lemon - lime citrus. Think lemon grass & lime grass (if there is such a thing) with a spicy aftertaste.

Beernik said:
Used them for 60 & 30 minute bittering hops in an Imperial Hefe.

Don't think lemon - lime citrus. Think lemon grass & lime grass (if there is such a thing) with a spicy aftertaste.

Cool! Thanks for the info!

I am thinking of using it as a 60 and 15 minute addition along with belma at 30 15 and 5

Matueko, no wait Mutoeka, dang it... Mukotea, aww, heck :drunk:

Motueka is great. I bought a pound and went through the 'must hop all beers with this' phase and I'm still enjoying it. I don't get lemon-lime as much as I get orange, but I've primarily been using it in maltier, French style farmhouse beers. It used to be called Super-Saaz. 2/3 Saaz & 1/3 NZ 'wild' hops. It smells exactly like I would expect NZ Super Saaz to smell.

I've used Belma also. I'd suggest at least 2:1 Motueka:Belma to get the best of the Motueka without it getting lost in the Belma's rather non-descript fruitiness.

Ugh, reading this is like a dagger to the heart. I had a lemon lime pale wheat with moteuka and sorachi ace... and chlroamines turned the batch into a band aid tin.

The hops smelled incredible though

TNGabe said:
Matueko, no wait Mutoeka, dang it... Mukotea, aww, heck :drunk:

Motueka is great. I bought a pound and went through the 'must hop all beers with this' phase and I'm still enjoying it. I don't get lemon-lime as much as I get orange, but I've primarily been using it in maltier, French style farmhouse beers. It used to be called Super-Saaz. 2/3 Saaz & 1/3 NZ 'wild' hops. It smells exactly like I would expect NZ Super Saaz to smell.

I've used Belma also. I'd suggest at least 2:1 Motueka:Belma to get the best of the Motueka without it getting lost in the Belma's rather non-descript fruitiness.

Wow! That's some deep research there on the hop action! Thanks for that! I can't wait to try this bad boy out!

When you say use it in a 2:1 ratio do you IBUs or just physical weight? I was thinking of using this as my hop schedule for a 3gal batch:

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.25 ozs 10.03 Motueka 45 mins 7.50
0.20 ozs 8.78 Belma 30 mins 9.80
0.20 ozs 6.72 Motueka 30 mins 7.50
0.20 ozs 4.34 Motueka 15 mins 7.50
0.20 ozs 4.14 Belma 10 mins 9.80
0.25 ozs 2.18 Motueka 5 mins 7.50
0.25 ozs 0.62 Belma 1 mins 9.80

Pratzie said:
Ugh, reading this is like a dagger to the heart. I had a lemon lime pale wheat with moteuka and sorachi ace... and chlroamines turned the batch into a band aid tin.

The hops smelled incredible though

My condolances.

Once I picked them up today (both belma and motueka) the first thing I did was open the bags and give em a good ol' sniff! Dang they both are awesome!

I've found Belma to have an earthy, almost woody flavor when used heavily as a dual purpose hop with that unique strawberry aftertaste. Motueka is amazing as a late whirlpool addition fresh hop.

In fact, i'd be sorely tempted to use one or both hops as 100% late additions to an APA/IPA at flameout for a hops soak with dry hopping afterwards.

aiptasia said:
I've found Belma to have an earthy, almost woody flavor when used heavily as a dual purpose hop with that unique strawberry aftertaste. Motueka is amazing as a late whirlpool addition fresh hop.

In fact, i'd be sorely tempted to use one or both hops as 100% late additions to an APA/IPA at flameout for a hops soak with dry hopping afterwards.

Go check this out: http://www.bear-flavored.com/2012/12/recipe-and-tasting-notes-belma-single.html?m=1

Sounds pretty awesome to me!

Latest posts

Back