Dry hopping advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhunk

Reaction score
I've got an IIPA that's about ready for dry hopping. The recipe calls for 4 oz cascade for a week before bottling. Would it be better to split that up to 2 oz now and then another 2 oz in a couple days?

unless you've brewed the recipe before and didn't like the results, I would follow those instructions and do all at once for the whole week

I'd just do all 4 at once, they need some time to work, usually a week. Then if possible, cold crash for a couple of days.

I'd just do all 4 at once, they need some time to work, usually a week. Then if possible, cold crash for a couple of days.

Do you recommend cold crashing when dry hopping regardless of the style? I'm brewing up a Citra Summer ale this weekend and I'm going to dry hop the Citra hops.

Yeah, pretty much. It helps drop the yeast and hop material out of suspension. If you bottle, there will still be plenty of yeast.

There is a study that shows anything over 1.5 oz per dry hop addition goes unnoticed AND some claim that two shorter dry hops verse one long dry hop adds more complex flavor and aroma. I know specifically that RR does multiple dry hop additions with Pliny and The Achemist does the same with Heady Topper.

Just food for thought

There is a study that shows anything over 1.5 oz per dry hop addition goes unnoticed AND some claim that two shorter dry hops verse one long dry hop adds more complex flavor and aroma. I know specifically that RR does multiple dry hop additions with Pliny and The Achemist does the same with Heady Topper.

Just food for thought

When I went in this morning to get my hops, I asked the owner for some advice on pellets vs whole leaf.
He said to use pellets for the last 4 days in the primary or whole leaves for about 5 in a secondary.
How about a mix of the two?

kaz4121 said:

Just food for thought

This was kind of what I was thinking and why I asked the question.

Yeah I would split it into 2 oz per addition and two additions. Add the first set for 3-5 days then add the second at day 5 and let sit for 3-5 more days for 6-10 days total.

Back