Winexpert Moscato Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjharlow

Reaction score
I just put this in Primary tonight. Tasted the juice from the hydrometer (delicious).

Has anyone done this kit yet?

I'm into beer myself but my wife loves the Barefoot Moscato so I'm hoping this will come out nice for her.

Tj

Heard good things, but its not on my list to make yet. I'd be interested to hear how it comes out, as my wife also likes this varietal! :)

Thats a good muscat grape. Should come out nice and aromatic. Try to keep your ferm temps on the low side and preserve the fruit character. Also consider Stopping fermentation at around .5 - 1.0 brix for some residual sugar. Muscat isn't typically served dry.

Wow.... I just walked into my basement and I smelled a slight fruity aroma. I went to my airlock and it's bubbling away on day 3. Brilliant nose coming out of the airlock.

In reference to stopping fermentation early to stop it from becoming too dry - the kit comes with a 2nd pack of juice to use in the secondary after fermentation is over. Where after primary it should be under 1.010 and then you put it into secondary where it drops below .998? Then about a week later you add this 2nd package which is supposed to bring it back up to 1.015 to 1.020

Sounds right for a Sussreserve wine. Glad to hear it smells good, that's a big sign you've got a great aromatic wine there. :)

have a batch going for about 10 days now...going to transfer to carboy tomorrow night. Will keep you posted on how it turns out

I know this post is almost a year old, but I was wondering how it turned out for you. I just started this kit today for an event at the end of June. I know it will be very young yet... but hoping for a good result.

My temp is a bit lower in the house than they recommend (66-68 rather than 72-74). I'm not sure what would be better - speeding it up, or waiting the extra time in the primary for it. Usually I like to ferment nice and gently in the mid to high 60s to keep the wine sweeter. But for a $90 kit, I don't want to mess it up!

Ferment around 60* would be ideal, help preserve the aromatics. 68-74 should be fine though. And of course the ambient temperature will be different from what the wine ferments at as the yeast get busy and heat up the must.

Made the RJSpagnols version back in early Feb. Not great yet. Smelled wonderful in the primary. Hoping it's better by June. I wish I'd have cooled the primary down from 73F.

I've done that kit and in my experience most of the wine expert kits end up too sweet and the abv is pretty low. Typically I'll add in an extra 2-3 pounds of sugar which takes the abv to around 9% and drys the final product out a little bit.

I've got the Winexpert California Moscato kit. It's been 6 days in the primary and the SG is at 1.020. It's been a steady 66* so I didn't really expect it to be at 1 or below quite yet.

Sweet is the goal for me, I'll be really interested in what the F-pack does. Hopefully the cooler temp will keep it from tasting 'hot' like I remember some of my heat-of-summer fruit wines. Wedding is the end of June. Hopefully it will resemble Barefoot moscato and be good as a young wine. With cake :D

This turned out remarkably well. June 22nd ten bottles were consumed with tons of cake at the wedding - and people accused me of relabeling Barefoot!

Just wanted to update :)

Back