Built my Single Tier HERMS on lurking only.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave the Brewer

Reaction score
In December I decided to build a brew rig, 4+ months later, brew rig :rockin: I managed to build my single tier HERMS on lurking Homebrewtalk.com only! All the info is here. Last weekend I tested the burners, PID, gas valves. I used water in the system to check for leaks and to see how long it takes to heat everything. I made my adjustments this week and I plan on brewing a Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale Saturday.

IMG_20130425_211843.jpg

Lurk moar! Credo of the intarwebs :p

Nice rig--I'm still working on putting mine together, so I'm jealous that you're done!

This thread needs more photos! and details of course... Great lurking by the way

Thanks guys, I'm pretty stoked. My wife is happy that it is done so she doesn't have to ignore all my homebrew equipment purchases when she is looking at the bank account. She is pretty tolerant of my "beer stuff" but she doesn't want to know how much it cost. My target completion was May 4th, so I am a week ahead of schedule. :ban: I didn't do a lot of documentation on this rig which has acquired the name "The MONK" but here are some more pics.

IMG_20130417_213318.jpg

IMG_20130417_213022.jpg

IMG_20130417_213753.jpg

IMG_20130418_071938.jpg

IMG_20130417_213716.jpg

Thats a hell of a build. I like the use of the diamond plate cover on your little electrical box at the bottom. That cracked me up when I saw it.

Oh I plan on having 20 gallons next weekend. Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale tomorrow, and if everything works properly. 20oz of Nugget/Cascade for a DIPA for next Saturday, National Homebrew Day!

Hey Dave--what wheels did you use for this? I'd be very interested :p.

I know a guy who has a completely mobile, trailer hitched brew stand. Not sure I want to go that far, but the more mobile the better, at least!

I'd recommend the wheels from Harbor Freight for what we're using them for. HF wheels are much cheaper and although they're not as good they'll be fine unless we start racing these things.

What sort of axle did you use? Looks to me like the only wheels sold at lowes/HF are without a paired axle

Back