Biofine clear - do you need to rack off the beer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyDoctor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I apologize if this has been covered - but looking through a few threads didn't tell me the answer.

I'm giving BFC a try this weekend on a bitter. My kegged beers always clear eventually, but only when I get to the last 1/4 of a keg. I know the best may be to "lager" all my beers in the keg long enough to clear them - but I'm too impatient. I usually am drinking the first pints from a batch 3 weeks after brewing.

My question is this: if I put the biofine clear into the keg before racking onto it, do I need to transfer out of that keg before consumption? Seems simpler to leave it in the same keg - but if the finings are bad for you if you ingest any - perhaps transferring off is best?

Thanks in advance for the help.

FlyDoctor said:
I apologize if this has been covered - but looking through a few threads didn't tell me the answer.

I'm giving BFC a try this weekend on a bitter. My kegged beers always clear eventually, but only when I get to the last 1/4 of a keg. I know the best may be to "lager" all my beers in the keg long enough to clear them - but I'm too impatient. I usually am drinking the first pints from a batch 3 weeks after brewing.

My question is this: if I put the biofine clear into the keg before racking onto it, do I need to transfer out of that keg before consumption? Seems simpler to leave it in the same keg - but if the finings are bad for you if you ingest any - perhaps transferring off is best?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I use Biofine quite regularly and have never racked the beer off of it. You may get some cloudy beers for the first few but then I have had very clear beers come from using the Biofine. Give it a good couple of hours after you transfer and get the keg into your fridge.

Dirk

Thanks for the quick response - good information. To clarify - what do you mean by give it a few hours? Do you mean keep the keg at room temp for a few hours before chilling? Transfer the beer first, wait, then the biofine? Sorry to be dumb...

FlyDoctor said:
Thanks for the quick response - good information. To clarify - what do you mean by give it a few hours? Do you mean keep the keg at room temp for a few hours before chilling? Transfer the beer first, wait, then the biofine? Sorry to be dumb...

My fault for not being clear. Put the Biofine in the keg and transfer onto it and if you are force carbonating then shake like normal and throw it in the fridge after that. At that point let it sit for a few hours maybe a little longer and the beer should clear up pretty quick. If you are not force carbonating I would shake it a little bit although transferring on top of it should mix it well enough.

Latest posts

Back