wyeast 1056 vrs dry packet yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

closetbrewing

Reaction score
Hello all Just brewed my 4th batch on Saturday and used wyeast 1056smack pack. I have noticed the airlock activity is alot slower than previous batches with dry packet yeast. Is this normal. sg 1.042 and pitched at 68 degrees on a midwest irish red ale. Thanks.

i didn't do a starter. I activated pack and pitched 4.5 hours later, I thought the package was going to blow up. Oh well. If the fg doesn't match up can I repitch with more yeast?

i didn't do a starter. I activated pack and pitched 4.5 hours later, I thought the package was going to blow up. Oh well. If the fg doesn't match up can I repitch with more yeast?

It's fine. One package is fine for a 1.042 beer.

It is very similar to the dry yeast S05, though, so I would recommend using that instead of liquid if you're choosing that strain.

1056 is an odd choice for an Irish red, though- normally you'd use an Irish ale yeast strain and those don't come in dry form.

It's fine. One package is fine for a 1.042 beer.

It is very similar to the dry yeast S05, though, so I would recommend using that instead of liquid if you're choosing that strain.

1056 is an odd choice for an Irish red, though- normally you'd use an Irish ale yeast strain and those don't come in dry form.

+1 - Fine for that OG.

Agreed on the choice for an Irish Red. I think at that point you are making an American Red, aka an Amber. You won't have quite the malty backbone of an Irish Red with Chico, and it will be more crisp. However, doesn't mean squat - it will be a great beer. I love making Reds with Chico and a good solid hoppiness (all late additions - keep IBU around 30).

Hello all. Day 6 in primary and gravity reading is 1.010. It's on the mark according to the kit instructions. Lesson being learned is give it time. I guess it's hard to mess up ale. I tasted the sample and it's pretty good for a young 6 day old beer. Thanks aii. PS I never thought I would join a online chat room, I don't facebook. tweet, skype and all that other crap. I guess it's all in the perspective. My kids make fun of me because I don't facebook but I'm proud of myself for doing this. Not bad for a 52 year old constructon worker!!!!!!

My kids make fun of me because I don't facebook but I'm proud of myself for doing this. Not bad for a 52 year old constructon worker!!!!!!

I don't twitter or anything, but I am on Facebook. I'm mostly on Facebook just to find out what my kids are up to, though!

This forum was my first foray onto online forums myself, and I really found that the brewing information was great.

One thing that I've found is that I can't read posts that use "textspeak" and ignore questions that use "ur" instead of "your" in them. I'm just too old to adapt that much! :D

Always feel free to ask questions, as that is what the forum is here for.

Back