Outdoor burners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmmann92

Reaction score
I have been looking for a way to start doing my brewing outdoors and need a good propane burner, does anyone have any recommendations on a good burner that they have had success with? Thanks for the help!

I just ordered the SQ14 from home depot for $50 shipped to my door. I've never used it, but its one of the more popular burners for homebrew. The SP10 is the same price and well liked as well, but there was some iffy feedback regarding the regulator so I decided on the SQ14.

Around here, propane burners are common garage sale items.

I picked up mine for $10-$15 each and they have been working for years.

I bought the SP-10 and used it for the first time this weekend. The reviewers all recommended burning off the paint for 20-30 minutes before using on the brew. I followed their advice and was glad I did. A lot of fumes, ash and paint flakes flying around that could have landed in the pot. After that I brewed an 8 gallon IPA with a 90 minute boil and it worked great!

tmmann92 said:
I have been looking for a way to start doing my brewing outdoors and need a good propane burner, does anyone have any recommendations on a good burner that they have had success with? Thanks for the help!

I've been using a Blackman burner for over two years and it s still like new. I highly recommend them. They are an investment, but will last a lifetime.

-John

I bought the SP-10 and used it for the first time this weekend. The reviewers all recommended burning off the paint for 20-30 minutes before using on the brew. I followed their advice and was glad I did. A lot of fumes, ash and paint flakes flying around that could have landed in the pot. After that I brewed an 8 gallon IPA with a 90 minute boil and it worked great!

I'm still burning ash off of mine after 16+ brew days and its starting to rust.

I have bought two Craigslisted Turkey Fryers to get me outdoors over the past eight years. I gave the first away (no problems), and the second is going strong after a year of monthly use. If you are into lo-tech brewing, I'd say that scheme works fine. The 7 gallon pots that come with them are useful too (especially if you ever want to really fry a Turkey).

I have the Bayou Classic KAB4 and it is amazing!!! Tons of heat just pours out of the burner allowing for quicker boils compared to my last turkey fryer burner. I would definitely suggest this one. Although, be aware, for all grain batches, this is a propane hog as it puts out a minimum of 210,000 BTU's.

I just ordered the SQ14 from home depot for $50 shipped to my door. I've never used it, but its one of the more popular burners for homebrew. The SP10 is the same price and well liked as well, but there was some iffy feedback regarding the regulator so I decided on the SQ14.

+1

I have three sq14s and love them.

Right on, the SP-10 is loud and harder to control.
Have a new SP-10 that I've used for 3 brews so far. Not so loud once you reach rolling boil. At that point, can turn it down and seems about 80% quieter. Can easily have normal conversation/play radio with no sense of trying to "compete" with burner. Pretty easy to control flame as well. Also has hurricane shield, which is why I chose it over the SQ-14. Based on the weather recently I'm glad I did. Didn't blow out once. SQ-14 has 16" diameter though, which is an advantage over 14" SP-10. People with keggles seem to really like the SQ-14.

Was going to get a Blichmann, but the money saved was put toward a wort chiller with leftover to spare. :)

+++1 on the Blichmann. QUIET& gets 8 gal from 60 to boiling in 20-25 min. Easy to control your boil too.

what model? if you can get 8 galons to boil in 20 -25 minutes, I'm buy in one today! I picked up an outdoor cooker on a local classified site for 25.00, didn't have alot of btu output, but it came with a tank full of propane for 25.00 so i thought I couldnt go wrong.

It takes a minimum of 60 minutes to get a full boil (6.5 gallons) and if theres a slight breeze forget about it.

what model? if you can get 8 galons to boil in 20 -25 minutes, I'm buy in one today! I picked up an outdoor cooker on a local classified site for 25.00, didn't have alot of btu output, but it came with a tank full of propane for 25.00 so i thought I couldnt go wrong.

It takes a minimum of 60 minutes to get a full boil (6.5 gallons) and if theres a slight breeze forget about it.

You don"t even need the Blichmann, some Bayou cookers have the same 10" Cast Iron Banjo Burner for less money and will boil 8 gallons fast. The Blichmann is a nice burner though.

My sq14 boils up 12 gallons of wort just fine. The blichmann is sexy, no one will deny that. I wish i could afford three or even one. Any of the burners mentioned will do the job.

One more vote for Blichman. Once i got it tuned in, i took 7 gallons to boiling from 47 degrees in 31 minutes. I've done two test batches and still have about a half a tank of propane.

Ive heard some people ***** about the regulator and admit it was a bit tempermental my first run but now that its zeroed in, it sips the fuel and works like a charm. bit more of an investment but it'll last forever and I am happy i don't have to worry about rusting or burning off the paint/

+1 for the Bayou Classic SQ14. Mine works great! Can't beat $44 on Amazon. Used it outside in winter too, although winters here in the Seattle area aren't bad at all.

+1 for the Blichmann. It is a bit spendy, but WORTH every penny. I used mine for the first time the other day and you really can't beat it.

I've brewed with pretty much everything from turkey friers to the KAB series (haven't tried the SQ14). The Blichmann is hands down the best burner on the market.

Like I said, it is spendy, but you will NEVER need to replace it.

This Chinese knock-off works well.
You can get two for about the same price as the other Banjo.
It is huge though.
The top ring might need some customizing to safely hold even a keg's diameter, but It fits a 20 gal pot ok.

Ch eck out wal-malt's web site. Type in 50 qt. turkey fryer. It comes with a 50 qt. aluminum pot with a drain basket and a burner with a regulator all for $50.00. I had it shipped to the store near me so I didn't have to pay for shipping. The aluminum pot heats up a lot faster than stainless steel. Just boil a full pot of water only to build up a coating on the inside of the pot. Check out the thread on SS versus aluminum. I have used both and prefer aluminum because it heats up a lot faster. Either way, burners are great for AG and full boils.

I have been using the SP10 for about a year and a half and have been very happy with it. I can raise 28 quarts of water in my HLT to 170 degrees in 10-15 minutes. I heat my keggle as I sparge and have a nice rolling boil about 10 minutes after the sparge has finished. Only problem I ever had was when a bug crawled into the burner and disrupted the air/gas mixture. The metal stand is not the prettiest anymore, but who am I trying to impress?

I have an SP10 and brewed 4 times with it so far. The black paint looks like crap now, but it works really well. When I've brewed in the garage (wind/rain) it is pretty noisy, but out on the patio it's not bad at all. I'm in a pretty open area and fight the wind quite a bit. The wind shield is nice. I have no complaints.

For the money, you can't beat the SQ 14. I've had it for more than 5 years. Still works great. I can do 10 gallon batches with zero problem..

Blichmann all the way. Super quiet, uses less propane than some burners I've used and it's built like a tank! Sure it's pricey, but well worth the extra $$.

Also Blichmann. I had the basic turkey frier and it was fine getting a boil with the pot it came with, but I upgraded to a 15 gallon pot (how do you control boil overs? get a bigger pot! Ha!) and even doing 6 gallon boils, the performance was abysmal. I did a brew in February and with a slight wind, it took ~1.5 hours to get to a boil. The Blichmann took 25 minutes to get 10 gallons rolling. Yes, it's spendy. But if you're able to budget for it, it's a solid buy (~$208 with shipping and the legs added). It was worth it for me simply due to the time I was able to save. Just wish I had bought it in the first place and now I wouldn't be stuck with a frier I doubt I'll ever use again.

Ch eck out wal-malt's web site. Type in 50 qt. turkey fryer. It comes with a 50 qt. aluminum pot with a drain basket and a burner with a regulator all for $50.00. I had it shipped to the store near me so I didn't have to pay for shipping. The aluminum pot heats up a lot faster than stainless steel. Just boil a full pot of water only to build up a coating on the inside of the pot. Check out the thread on SS versus aluminum. I have used both and prefer aluminum because it heats up a lot faster. Either way, burners are great for AG and full boils.

Walmart all the way. Got their cheapest turkey fryer setup. Think it was $50 and want to say brand was Bayou Classic. I don't use the cheap aluminum pot that came with it for brewing but the burner gets the job done. So far it's lasted about 5 years of brewing and boiling maple sap for hours on end. I store it indoors but have on occasion left it outside, got it wet, etc. I've literally never cleaned it or given it any attention whatsoever. A little rust here and there but will probably last me at least another few years. Great deal.

Back