Alternatives to thief/turkey baster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edgee

Reaction score
I've been around four shops today and can't find a turkey baster anywhere. So, any ideas on what I can use to take a sample out in a responsible fashion? (This is my first brewing experience)
Thank you!

use your racking cane & hose/auto siphon to pull a sample. just make sure you sanitize it first with starsan or iodophor, or what ever you use to sanitize.

If the condition of the sample is not critical(i.e., for SG, pH, tasting) and it won't be returned(and it never should be) to the batch, you might try one of those drinking water bottles that are so popular. Sanitize it, squeeze it(try on plain water, first) to see if you can get a vacuum strong enough to suck up a sample. Remember: the height of the liquid column is important: if vacuum is weak, try laying bottle slightly to the horizontal. Good luck.

Use the right tool for the job. Buy a thief. If your LHBS doesn't have one, and it takes a few days to ship, big deal. All that will happen is your beer will age a bit and probably be better than it was.

How about a Powerbuilt suction gun for only $9.99?

31COds2WTpL.jpg

Act now and receive a set of steak knives at no extra cost!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KEJXZA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back