Wierd split batch haze behavior

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroStefan

Brewer
Reaction score
To break in my new 15 kettle I brewed up ~9 gal batch of my house APA. about 5.5 went in a 6.5 gal glass carboy, the rest in a 5 gal glass carboy. I pitched the correct amount (according to Mr Malty) of rehydrate US-05. Both carboys were fermented next to each other at a controlled 66f.

The smaller carboy dropped clear, the larger one has noticeable haze even when not chilled, and even isinglass is not clearing it completely. Neither batch tastes off as in infected. The hazy one does taste "greener."

any theories?

So with everything else being equal, it seems inescapable that the larger vessel has been inflicted with an infection of some kind...

US-05 is a medium flocculation yeast,so that makes it a bit stubborn. I've had it make clean flavors up to 74F. I don't think it's an infection. But that haze (do you mean protien haze?) is a bit of a problem for me too. I first thought it might be due to too fine of a crush. Now folks say no. There are other things too,but they have to do with the boil,chilling,etc.
Did you use a wort or plate chiller on the whole kettle's worth of wort? I'd love to get to the bottom of these things myself.

unionrdr said:
US-05 is a medium flocculation yeast,so that makes it a bit stubborn. I've had it make clean flavors up to 74F. I don't think it's an infection. But that haze (do you mean protien haze?) is a bit of a problem for me too. I first thought it might be due to too fine of a crush. Now folks say no. There are other things too,but they have to do with the boil,chilling,etc.
Did you use a wort or plate chiller on the whole kettle's worth of wort? I'd love to get to the bottom of these things myself.

I use a big immersion wort chiller and drop to pitching temp < 20 minutes. The isinglass helped and both carboys are cold crashing now. It this point the larger carboy is about as hazy as I'd expect from past experience, but the less full carboy is still clearer - almost bright clear. I don't think it is an infection, either.

Usually my US-05 batches only really clear after they are kegged and carbonated, so we'll see

hopdoc said:
Maybe it only appears hazier because it is in a larger vessel?

I think that is part of it, and maybe the smaller one fermented quicker. Ill be kegging tomorrow and will have the best change to compare under standard conditions.

For now I'm all RDWHAHB.

I kegged last night so had a chance for a direct comparison. Result - no issue. Samples from both kegs were equally clear - and tasted great.

All's well the ends well:D

Latest posts

Back