Cleaning equipment after use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amaier48

Reaction score
Looking for ideas on cleaning equipment after use. I try to rinse everything off and what not, but everything still seems almost sticky. I have a plastic rubber made bin I store everything in once dry. But still sticky. Ideas?

I only use oxyclean for bottles and my fermenter. As for the other stuff, I generally just wash it in the sink and let it dry. Just make sure you take your siphon apart and clean it well as I have found some nasties in mine after forgetting on brew day.

keep a separate bin of sanitizer or just water near while ur brewing. When i get done with a utensil, i'll either put it in the water (if im done using it) or the sanitizer (if i know im gonna need to use it again). that keeps my stuff pretty good while im brewing. Otherwise for big stuff, OxyClean soak usually works great for me.

Oxyclean Free. I wash everything down with it and rinse with plenty of hot water. I try to make sure everything dries thoroughly before its packed away too.

Oxy clean free right after use then come brew day star san before use.

Yeah your'e going to find that PBW/Oxyclean are the favored products for cleaning homebrew equipment.

I use a bucket to collect the water from my IC and use that hot freaking water to give my hands a couple first degree burns and to soak things in/clean things with. Dump a little into the brew kettle give it a quick sponging, dump, rinse with more. The heat really cuts through the sugars. Soak everything else in the water and get it clean for next time. Sanitize what touches cooled wort on brew day.

I've been soaking my fermenters clean with 4TBSP of PBW in it,filled to near the top with water. Soak it for maybe 5 days & all the gunk disolves &/or falls loose to the bottom.
Now here's where it gets contradictory. I got an e-mail awhile back from beersmith about cleaning brew stuff. They say not to soak any fermenters in PBW or oxyclean for long periods,as it soaks into the plastic. I call BS on that one. Or maybe it's outdated thinking?!
I let my FV's sit for about 5 days,brush inside very lightly with the bottling brush to be sure everything's loose & falling to the bottom. It's sitting on the fermenter stand all this time. So I place my homer cheapo bucket on the floor below the spigot to drain the cleaned fermenter. Dump the old PBW/silty stuff down the head. I thoroughly rinse the fermenter to remove any cleaner left inside the FV. Then rinse that out with starsan & dry before storage. I clean & sanitize the spigots & mounting hole on brewday,& sanitize the whole thing right before filling. I've never had any cleaner residue problems with this method.

Back