The Sad & Scary Moments of Letting Go an Overcarbed Batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstranger99

Reaction score
I decided to uncap and drain about 30 or so bottles of a 3 gal Brown ale brewed on 2-23. I screwed up and used 5 ounces of sugar instead of 3.

I had bottle cap explosions in March (made a mess in the cabinet), I even chilled them all down and pried off a little pressure that same week.

Weeks later I even chilled a few, and the carb was so high it took 3 bottles to get one glass of actual beer.

So Yesterday I bit the bullet, and uncapped, dumped each one, some of them I barely touched with the opener and the cap blew off like the sound of gunfire !! Several of them scared the hell out of me, where others I was able to pry slowly to let the gas (beer spraying everywhere) off. Thank goodness none of them broke, but seriously those that I barely touched with the opener were indeed sitting bombs. You had to have been there to see my hands shaking after the gunshot sounds......

lesson learned: Measure your priming sugar !! Always.......

I have learned to never drink until the priming sugar is in the beer or the hops measured out and the mash temp hit and mashing. Weird things happen otherwise

Back