Will adjuncts convert grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cainepolo12

Reaction score
Here's what I've got. I am planning on trying to make a nut brown ale. I am fairly happy with the base that I have been using the last couple brews but want to mix it up a little. I've malted ten pounds of quinoa at home and will use 5 along with some rice syrup and sorghum. I'm going to mash the quinoa without amylase, but I'm curious if adding the adjuncts later in the boil could pull anything else from the grain. I'm assuming not because they will already be lautered, but maybe I'm wrong. The other five pounds is going into a Saison.

Adjuncts don't convert grains, grains convert adjuncts. In typical terminology, grain means malt and adjucts mean unmalted other "stuff". It sounds like you just have the definitions backwards; your quinoa malt is your grain and rice syrup and sorghum are your adjunct sugars. In any case, the sugar syrups should be fully converted when you buy them. Quinoa is probably not going to get any additional conversion, although something like Promalt might break down additional starches.

I understand that, but what I was trying to ask is if the addition of the adjuncts(sorghum,BRS) could possibly serve as some sort of catalyst to increase the sugars from the mash. It may not make any sense, and I assumed nothing would happen, but I was curious. I think my original post was poorly worded. Perhaps this one even more so!

You've got to understand the basic chemistry of brewing. Malted grains provide enzymes, extract syrups don't; perhaps more importantly, at boiling temperatures any and all enzymes are deactivated almost instantaneously. Also, just in case you are wondering: the rice and sorghum extracts we usually rely upon are about as sugar-rich as possible, because they are basically mashed in laboratory conditions with professional-grade enzymes. So if you threw some BRS or sorghum extract into a quinoa mash, the quinoa enzymes wouldn't likely pull any additional sugars out of the extract (and if they did, it would be by converting dextrins to sugars, which would decrease the body and residual sweetness of the beer...not a desirable outcome!). So to answer your original question: no, adding extract syrups to the boil will not somehow increase the amount of sugars extracted from your quinoa mash. They'll add their own sugars, and that's it.

That's exactly what I thought the answer was, but sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised.

Back