Well that was fast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grv

Reaction score
So I will say off the bat that I'm missing a crucial bit of information - a gravity reading. When I get home tonight I will check and update this thread.

On Sunday, I brewed a stout. OG was 1.053. For the first time, I used White Labs yeast. It was the Irish Ale yeast. Also made a starter (1 Liter) for the first time. Within 8 hours, swirly activity was underway. Within 16 hours, very active bubbling. This morning, still some minor swirling evident but absolutely zero bubbling. By lunch, no swirling in the wort to be seen.

Temp has been a consistent 66.

Is this normal for this yeast / starters? I know bubbles are somewhat meaningless as a gauge, but with every other beer I've made, they've gone on, albeit slowly, for weeks. Also never had the vigorous fermentation end this quickly.

Sort of freaking out... Even if the gravity shows full attenuation, I will leave it a couple weeks for clean up, but very weird.

It may no longer be bubbling, but it's not done. I'd give it two weeks from brew date and then check it.

Some yeast get it done faster than others. Go figure.;)

Thanks. I need to relax, I guess. Just weird to be at this point within 48 hours.

The Irish Ale yeast has a super fast and brief fermentation. I have used it twice now and both times no visual signs of fermentation after about 48h. Also always get a massive krausen with this yeast.

Still, leave it in there for another 2 weeks. It will need it to complete the whole process.

The Irish Ale yeast has a super fast and brief fermentation. I have used it twice now and both times no visual signs of fermentation after about 48h. Also always get a massive krausen with this yeast.

Still, leave it in there for another 2 weeks. It will need it to complete the whole process.

That's reassuring. I'll be sure to let those little guys have plenty of time to clean up. Thanks!

Glad I saw this post, I just had the same thing happen with the same yeast.

Based on the feedback, I did not disturb things for a reading the day I posted. I did measure today though when I took the blow off tube off and put an airlock on. Gravity is 1.020, which is still 6 points above the 1.014 I hope to reach. Still no airlock activity. I will take another reading in a couple days. If it's still 1.020, what can I do to coax this batch down? Thinking of maybe bringing it upstairs where it is 68 degrees or so. The thermometer on the side of my better bottle is reading 74 at the moment, so maybe that will kick the yeast back into action. Any other ideas? Thanks

Based on the feedback, I did not disturb things for a reading the day I posted. I did measure today though when I took the blow off tube off and put an airlock on. Gravity is 1.020, which is still 6 points above the 1.014 I hope to reach. Still no airlock activity. I will take another reading in a couple days. If it's still 1.020, what can I do to coax this batch down? Thinking of maybe bringing it upstairs where it is 68 degrees or so. The thermometer on the side of my better bottle is reading 74 at the moment, so maybe that will kick the yeast back into action. Any other ideas? Thanks

If it's already 74, it's probably over the high end of the optimum temperature range, as I think 68 for 004.

Dang typo. 64 is the current temp! 74 would be a bit much...

Dang typo. 64 is the current temp! 74 would be a bit much...

Oh, yes, that's better!

You could try warming it, but that's a pretty attenuative yeast even at 64 degrees. My guess is that it may drop a couple more points but I think that since this yeast strain attenuates well and fast, that the reason it is at 1.020 is due to ingredients and the lack of fermentability of them. I suspect quite a bit of crystal and dark malts and maybe a higher mash temperature could be the cause.

To your point, this was the grain bill. Mashed at 153 for 60 minutes. Iodine starch test did not turn purple, so I think I got most of it, but who knows...

6.8# MO
2.55# flaked barley
.85# roasted

I haven't used faked barley before, so I don't know whether it requires any special attention aside from mashing it with a reasonable amount of "regular" barley like the MO. Does it?

Thanks!

AnOldUR said:
conversion ≠ fermentability

I'd guess either mash or fermentation temperatures not what you think they were.

Anything is possible. I've followed the same process with the same equipment several times before. I'll recalibrate my digital thermometer next time just make sure my mash temp is not higher than I thought. Thanks for the suggestion.

I made a Guinness clone years ago with that yeast and it started fermenting quick and ended quick as I remember, but the FG was 1.024 way high. Came to the masses and the consensus was too many unfermentables, that the attenuation was good.. We'll then how the hell does guinness do it? It was their recipe basically. But now that I think of it maybe my thermometer was off. Who knows in 8 years the only yeast I had a problem with was WLP004 maybe it's because I'm Italian. Good Luck.

bandt9299 said:
Who knows in 8 years the only yeast I had a problem with was WLP004 maybe it's because I'm Italian. Good Luck.

Thanks. If I can get another point or two by warming it up, I guess I'll be happy with that. Hydro sample tasted fine considering the point things are at, so it's not like this is doom and gloom or anything.

Just thinking ahead... If I see the same gravity after three days, what do you all think about this idea (pitch a neutral yeast like Nottingham to finish up):

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/imcomplete-fermentation-405678/

Next time I make this, may try out the Wyeast 1084 just to see...

I wouldn't add more yeast at 1.020 on a stout, but I would warm it up to 67-68*F for a few days to see what that does for you. If it stays steady at 1.020 over three days' readings, I'd bottle/keg it. I don't think you'll ever see 1.014 with this batch. 1.017 maybe.

Hope it works out.

BTW- have you checked your hydrometer in plain water lately?

BigFloyd said:
BTW- have you checked your hydrometer in plain water lately?

A couple months ago. For the 30 seconds it will take, I'll do it again though. Thanks.

Back