White Lightning Clone & Grains of Paradise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joyceman

Reaction score
Making a clone of a local beer (not moonshine like the name implies). The beer advertises itself as a Belgian Style White Ale that uses sweet orange rind, coriander and grains of paradise. Malt is pretty straight forward wit malt: pils, wheat, vienna, oats and 2 row. Hops are listed as northern brewer with 18 IBUs.

My question is the greains of paradise, ive seen some threads on them and understand they give a lemony peppery taste/aroma. My lhbs sells them in 2 ounce packs. Whats appropriate for a 5 gal batch? Should they be cracked like coriander?

The company site lists the OG as 13.5 with an abv of 6%. Can anyone interpret that number for me? Running my numbers with 3 lbs pils, 3 lbs wheat, 3 lbs 2 row, 1 lb vienna, 1 lb oats I come to 1060 with a abv of 6%.

Finally, any thoughts on yeast? I was going to use my standard wit yeast, wyeast 3944.

That sounds like a great beer. I think professional brewers usually measure gravity in plato. 13.5 plato is 1.055 sg. Even if it were brix, that would only throw it off a couple points. Sorry I can't help with the rest, I'm also interested in using grains of paradise.

I used grains of paradise in a brew lately. I crushed mine and what an amazing aroma, havnt bottled it yet but the wort smelled great. Looked like seeds to me and figured the boiling wort wouldnt get through the shell enough for the full flavor.

I assumed the number was brix or something, but I have no experience with those numbers. Given my recent efficiency numbers, i might have to drop a lb of fermentables out to get 1055.

The commercial stuff im trying to repicate is a great summer beer. The guys that make it , Full Pint outside Pittsburgh, have some excellent brews.

I used grains of paradise in a brew lately. I crushed mine and what an amazing aroma, havnt bottled it yet but the wort smelled great. Looked like seeds to me and figured the boiling wort wouldnt get through the shell enough for the full flavor.

How much did you use?

I used 3/4 oz for a 2.5 gallon recipe. A 2 oz package would be fine for 5 gallons. They are not overpowering so the flavor should come through nicely on 5 gallons.

I've been rather disappointed with their beers. I had a case of their Chinookie IPA which had chunks floating in it, and a case of this White Lightning that was not carbed right. Some of the bottle caps flew off and the beer fizzed all over the place. Some barely made a hiss when opened.

This was about a year ago, so maybe they've worked these issues out. I'm still hesitant to spend another $30 on a bad case of beer though.

Chunks? Was it hops? Thats pretty nasty.

Ive had the Night of the Living Stout, White Lightning and All In. Havent had a bad one yet but I only found them within the last year.

Chunks? Was it hops? Thats pretty nasty.

Ive had the Night of the Living Stout, White Lightning and All In. Havent had a bad one yet but I only found them within the last year.

Im not sure what it was. I dont think it was hops. The worst part is I drank a few bottles before I decided to pour one in a glass and thats when I noticed the floaters.

Just a note on this recipe, I was strongly advised to not use more than a full ounce on a 5 gal batch. I cut it down to 3/4 this time around. Next time I might up it some.

I've only had Full Pint's IPA way back when they first entered the scene. Don't remember liking it all that much. It's no Big Hop.

Back