Sanitation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiodome21

Reaction score
Hello there. I am new to home brewing and this forum. So here's my question. I made a yeast starter kit for a belgian wit I want to brew. As I was opening my whitelabs vial over my funnel and bottle, the thing exploded, sprayed my hand and then went down the funnel into the bottle. Everything else was sanitized, but I'm not sure what to do. Go ahead with my brew or just dump it out and start fresh? And help would be much appreciated.

I'd think you're more than likely alright. The yeast will be thriving in the starter and reproducing so rapidly that there is very little chance for anything else to survive.

Same thing happened to me. You should be fine. We'll know to open those badboys carefully next time. :)

My very first home brew did this too! It all turned out with no infection or off flavors.

As I was opening my whitelabs vial over my funnel and bottle, the thing exploded, sprayed my hand and then went down the funnel into the bottle.

whitelabs yeast needs to taste flesh before it will ferment anything. That's why it attacks your face and hands when you open it then drips into the starter/wort. This behavior doesn't seem to cause infections.

Latest posts

Back