I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red wine thought of the night.

Many moons ago when I was 30 pounds lighter and 27 years younger I was an Aircraft Electrician's Mate Second Class. My ship was the Midway, home ported out of Yokosuka, Japan. Think I have mentioned that before :eek:

There was a Willie Nelson song playing on the jukebox back then. I think it was even old at that time; called, "On the Road Again". My friends and I put a few different words to it. "On the road again" was replaced with "out to sea again" because we sure as hell spent the majority of those years on the ocean blue. The other part of the song replaced "making music with my friends" was sung "fixing airplanes with my friends" and "highways" was replaced with sealanes.

For a young man with all life ahead of them there was no better place to be. We made a difference. I still work around young people and it is amazing the vitality and spirit they have. I was once like that. Invincible.

For any of you who think I live to much in the past I wouldn't argue that.

Anyway, here's an old song that to me is about being with my friends, fixing airplanes and being young. Life was all in front back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mckg0

My grandpa was an electrician aboard ship in WW2.

I heard that today is Willie's 80th birthday...

Ischiavo, you're right. Today is his 80th birthday! How did a country western pot smoking hippy ever live that long? Happiness is my guess.

Ischiavo, you're right. Today is his 80th birthday! How did a country western pot smoking hippy ever live that long? Happiness is my guess.

I think your state of mind has a lot to do with it. I quit worrying last year sometime. Everything will work out...that's my philosophy now. I don't but smoking pot probably really helps you get to that point.

I have missed your presence here Dan. I hope your excursion was good for you. Raising my glass to you right now:mug:

yep, look at that dirty f'n hippy...

willie.jpg

Drinking my first bottle of the NZ hopped IPA with Nelson and Galaxy. It's delicious, but these hops don't seem as assertive as US hops. I used about 12 ounces between the kettle and dry, and it just doesn't club you like the Citra/Simcoe/Columbus etc.

Now we know. I would never put North Zimbabwe hops in my beer in the first place but someone has to try.

Ischiavo. There is something about you that is unique. BTW. I don't know what Zimabwe hops are but wouldn't put them in my beer either. Might be some lions and tigers that go with them.

Ischiavo. There is something about you that is unique. BTW. I don't know what Zimabwe hops are but wouldn't put them in my beer either. Might be some lions and tigers that go with them.

I am an opinionated prick that likes to get along with other people whenever possible. That may be unique. I think we are very much alike my friend.

Zimbabwe hops would have a strong catty flavor and maybe zebra and widebeast tones. I'm only guessing though...

Dan said:
Agreed! He's a good chap.
lschiavo said:
I am an opinionated prick that likes to get along with other people whenever possible. That may be unique. I think we are very much alike my friend.

Zimbabwe hops would have a strong catty flavor and maybe zebra and widebeast tones. I'm only guessing though...
Well for my beer they added definite tones of poverty, with nuances or exploitation and foreign aid. They're pretty good for bittering though.

Man I must have been snot slinging rip roaring drunk last time I brewed. I have never had to wash my brew pot BEFORE the boil much less clean the burner. Man my stuff was sh!tty dirty and I am being kind saying that.

Hehe I need to brew more with my friend since we got the drinking bit down just fine.

Agreed! He's a good chap.

Well for my beer they added definite tones of poverty, with nuances or exploitation and foreign aid. They're pretty good for bittering though.

You are the $hit! Poverty and foreign aid has to add a lot to the bitterness. I bet a half ounce for bittering would be fine even for a 10 gallon batch. Then use some happy hops for flavor:drunk:

Man I must have been snot slinging rip roaring drunk last time I brewed. I have never had to wash my brew pot BEFORE the boil much less clean the burner. Man my stuff was sh!tty dirty and I am being kind saying that.

Hehe I need to brew more with my friend since we got the drinking bit down just fine.

Are you just starting a brew?

Speaking of technology, I can be just about anywhere and check HBT on my phone. We just got 4G here too so it's fast. I helped my old man install a tv antenna on his house today the system he got doesn't have enough power to feed more than one tv. One minute and I had him a booster ordered from my phone. I really only use my phone for important stuff like HBT, pron and work (I love the navigator. got me to a customer's house today that I would never have found). I also have all my music on it. Plug it into a set of computer speakers on the job and I'm rockin'. Keys, wallet and phone...my checklist before I leave the house in the morning.
Agreed! Smartphone addiction is real and admittedly has me firmly in its grasp (though not quite as much lately), but to be able to be instantly connected to anything and everything is just an incredibly powerful and empowering thing.

There are definitely things I don't particularly like about the resultant culture, but overall, I would not willingly give it up for anything more than short-term breaks, which can be great.

Drinking my first bottle of the NZ hopped IPA with Nelson and Galaxy. It's delicious, but these hops don't seem as assertive as US hops. I used about 12 ounces between the kettle and dry, and it just doesn't club you like the Citra/Simcoe/Columbus etc.
Noob. That's so 2011... It's all about the Motueka now.

And if you cut yourself drunkenly trying to get the cap off, you get a free chance of the possibility of HIV infection!

It did! And, now it's on EVERY post you've EVER MADE! ;)

Except the ones he may have made when he had no signature whatsoever.

I lost track of the conversation here because I thought my liver finally exploded. But yesterday doctor said it was salmonella. I got pretty sick yesterday or the day before or whenever, lost track of time while I was puking. But, my doc reassured me that my liver is fine, so that is good. Apparently, you can get salmonella from playing with chickens. Hubby says, I kept telling you wash your hands!!! Well, who brought home the chickens without asking me first?

Damn chickens. :mad:

And I did wash my hands!! Well, most of the time after playing with them.

Sorry to be lost in my own little world again, I will make time to go back and read what I missed. Because, if you don't have the time, you have to make it. I am still not very well, salmonella takes up to a week to completely clear up, maybe more. And now I have 14 cases of beer and it's expensive to ship through private carriers and I have no extra money right now. I spent it all making beer and gruit and other interesting things. Well, interesting to me. Also, I like my beer room temp and don't know how to use a hydrometer. So there. :p

Are you just starting a brew?

I had just finished it. Kind of a nice brew night last night. I missed my mash temp by half a degree and hit all my volumes and efficiency right on the nose. I pitched some third generation notty at midnight and by 6 am had some good action going on

I always brew alone except for the last time a friend wanted to see how I did it. Well much beer was consumed and I have no clue what I did with the beer. Should be fine though since I milled it the day before and there was only a bittering hop in it.

At least figured out where to go back to catch up, page 616, hopefully I will be able to find the words of wisdom that I missed. Later, today is going to town day.

Over the hump day. Ooof, we'll make it. Row, row row. I'm getting into a new design for the military - IFF device (id friend - or -foe). Helmet-worn device that responds to infrared interrogation so that friendlies don't get shot. I'm excited, I haven't done a military project since the 90's.

For your late night soundtrack, Johnny Horton. Subsailor should like this one. Big nuggets they're finding...

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird man I was out in the shop rebuilding my shooting bench and heard both those songs on random play.

Trying to decide if I should take a gun out tomorrow. I kind of think so but I also like spotting and playing god. So much easier hunting by myself but these guys plan this hunt every year.

Well I just looked at my bullets and I got .270 22-250 and .204 Kind of thinking using the .270 for a change I think. Been a few years since I shot it

I posted the pic in the tap handle thread...but I thought I'd share it here as well because it makes me laugh...look what a friend made:

That is one of the most awesome taps I've ever seen! :mug:

After mowing the lawn (and doing battle with the giant cedar tree that is dropping tons of pollen,) I'm definitely in a more sedate mood tonight. And after catching the end of the Blues Brothers earlier, this song is on my mind...

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my beer making stuff today. You know, an ounce of loose leaf hops is a lot more volume then I thought it would be.

Awesome tap handle Lab.

Salmonella sucks BL. Have I mentioned recently I don't like chickens?

Before I left for work I realized my new batch of rice wine actually overtopped the container and was soaking into the towel I wrapped around it to block out the light. Surprise. I've never had a batch of rice wine do anything like that. Hmm. I think it's a good sign.

apfelwein.jpg

Well I just looked at my bullets and I got .270 22-250 and .204 Kind of thinking using the .270 for a change I think. Been a few years since I shot it

Long time ago, a friend wanted to go deer hunting so we had to get him a rifle. Dad took us down to a gun shop in Bellevue Nebraska and there was a beautiful Sako 75 .270 on the wall. This was not just a rifle, it was a piece of art. The proprietor walks over and starts to tell us that the gun was owned by a little old lady and only used on Sundays and the price of $600 was a steal. Before my friend could say anything, Dad jumps in and starts to negotiate and before we knew what happened, they shake hands on a price of $350. Dad leans over to my friend and sez, "Hope you don't mind, but I couldn't help myself. Do you want that one?" And he still has that rifle after 25 years.

Will try to hang out again soon. Hubby was able to do another chemo treatment, I think this is 3 of the 12 he's supposed to have before the next surgery. Might take a year to get through them at this rate. After each one, it's been close to month before he is able to take the next one. Right now it's day 2. He has a WalkMed and they slowly infuse him over a period of 3 days. He's very sick and still one more day of it, then usually he gets even sicker afterwards. Hopefully for him he won't end up in the hospital, he hates that place. At least I am feeling better to take care of him. Thanks everyone for the kind words, kind thoughts and prayers.

Love the beer tap. :)

Will try to hang out again soon. Hubby was able to do another chemo treatment, I think this is 3 of the 12 he's supposed to have before the next surgery. Might take a year to get through them at this rate. After each one, it's been close to month before he is able to take the next one. Right now it's day 2. He has a WalkMed and they slowly infuse him over a period of 3 days. He's very sick and still one more day of it, then usually he gets even sicker afterwards. Hopefully for him he won't end up in the hospital, he hates that place. At least I am feeling better to take care of him. Thanks everyone for the kind words, kind thoughts and prayers.

Hang in there BobbiLynn. You guys just aren't getting any breaks. Salmonella? That sucks. If anybody can get through this trying time it's you and your hubby.

Leadgolem said:
I got my beer making stuff today. You know, an ounce of loose leaf hops is a lot more volume then I thought it would be.

Awesome tap handle Lab.

Salmonella sucks BL. Have I mentioned recently I don't like chickens?

Before I left for work I realized my new batch of rice wine actually overtopped the container and was soaking into the towel I wrapped around it to block out the light. Surprise. I've never had a batch of rice wine do anything like that. Hmm. I think it's a good sign.

It's probably got lots of gas built up in it.. I haven't had that happen with the rice wine, but I've had it happen with lacto fermented hot sauce lots of times. I just basically degas the sauce every 12 hours or so.

Anybody get hooked on the British TV show MI-5? Watched a few episodes at a friend's house on Netflix and got pulled in. There are 10 seasons and he was on around the latter part of the 8th when I first saw the show at his house. Now I just finished the last episode. I'll have to go back and start at the beginning. That's okay though. Main characters get killed off every few years. Amazing spy show.

I lost track of the conversation here because I thought my liver finally exploded. But yesterday doctor said it was salmonella. I got pretty sick yesterday or the day before or whenever, lost track of time while I was puking. But, my doc reassured me that my liver is fine, so that is good. Apparently, you can get salmonella from playing with chickens. Hubby says, I kept telling you wash your hands!!! Well, who brought home the chickens without asking me first?

Damn chickens. :mad:

And I did wash my hands!! Well, most of the time after playing with them.

Salmonella from chickens? Who knew???! ;)

It's also common from handling reptiles, ESPECIALLY baby turtles... so much so that the sale of turtles with shells under 4" long is illegal.

Long time ago, a friend wanted to go deer hunting so we had to get him a rifle. Dad took us down to a gun shop in Bellevue Nebraska and there was a beautiful Sako 75 .270 on the wall. This was not just a rifle, it was a piece of art. The proprietor walks over and starts to tell us that the gun was owned by a little old lady and only used on Sundays and the price of $600 was a steal. Before my friend could say anything, Dad jumps in and starts to negotiate and before we knew what happened, they shake hands on a price of $350. Dad leans over to my friend and sez, "Hope you don't mind, but I couldn't help myself. Do you want that one?" And he still has that rifle after 25 years.
Damn, that WAS a steal!

I'm just a couple weeks away from final approval on my firearms possession and acquisition license - required here in Canada, after taking a firearms safety course, passing (80%+) both a practical and written firearms safety exam, and a background check by the feds - but I have already been looking at rifles and trying them out. I've had a bunch of different ones recommended to me, but I felt by far the most comfortable with the Sako 85 and the (cheaper, but made by the same Finnish company) Tikka T3, which weren't even recommended to me by anyone.

I'd love the Sako, but I'm probably going with the Tikka because the Sako definitely ain't cheap and, despite otherwise being the most bleedingest heart of liberals, I intend to get into hunting (for perhaps a rather unusual reason... and that's another license that requires a hunter's ed course and another 80%+ exam, though I already have that one as it requires no background check), and have pretty much been universally told to spend at least as much on glass as I do on the gun, plus all the other hunting gear I'll need to get... even with the Tikka, the initial outlay isn't going to be small by any means!

What specifically is he having a problem with that he requires such a long time between treatments?

Back