Had to make Blow-Off tube; is my rig set up ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlreadyXDead

Reaction score
So i'm pretty new to anything home brew. I am brewing from a wort kit. I know this isn't a true home brew as I never actually brewed my own wort. Once i get the fermentation process down I am going to start my own batches.

Anywho, I have my pale ale in primary right now. The airlock was almost popping open from the amount of foam. I ended up making a blow off tube...My question is do i have it set up OK? Do i need to adjust anything from the looks of this picture? Everything is nice and sanitary (I think). Is this an appropriate rig?

DSC_0129[1].jpg

Thanks for the quick response.
The other end is in a bucket that i cleaned with a small cap of bleach, the solution is made up of a half bucket of water with Sodium Bicarbonate and quarter cap of bleach.

I'd be worried about suck-back with the bleach. Any amount of that backflowing could affect the taste of your beer. I strongly suggest you replace the bleach with sanitizer, or at the least change to an airlock when activity slows a bit.

The hose is quite long. Can suck back occur pretty easily? Will the C02 being created push everything out or can negative pressure occur? I will definitely put the airlock back once the activity slows. I was just nervous to come home from work and see my precious beer all over the place! Thanks for your reply.

Suckback should only happen if there is a pressure drop. I've only had this happen when the beer temperature has dropped post-fermentation. If you're able to keep a pretty close eye on it, I wouldn't think it would be a problem. For these purposes, bleach just seems a little dangerous is all.

Yeah I've only gotten suck back when cold crashing, but is was an impressive climb when it happened. Didn't think it would do that. That's why I use starsan, just in case. I know some folks use plain water but the mold I got the one time I used it made me nervous.

I use half gallon plastic vodka jugs for blow off rigs. I fill'em 1/3 full with water & a splash of starsan. Works fine everytime. so I agree with starsan use,just a splash in the blow off water is fine. Should suck back occur,no worries,as starsan breaks down into yeast nutrient.

I usually take a gallon water jug and half fill it with the star San mixture I already have made for the brew day. I've had suck back when cold crashing also, but mainly with my better bottle which has more flexibility.

So i believe all is well! She is bubbling like crazy and making large burp sounds here and there. I have just water and sanitzer so all should be fine. I appriciate the help. It looks like a really active fermentation, im very excited.

Latest posts

Back