I found some brewing ingredients.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sui

Reaction score
Today I found some brewing stuff an old roommate left. 6lbs of DarkLiquidME, and 3lbs of DarkDryME, a packet of grains to add body and structure, and some there odds and ends brewing herbs.

I am going to do abrew with the stuff. Roughly what kind og OG can I expect if i just use it all? How much alcohol are we talking?

My recipe will be as follows:
6lbs Dark Liquid ME
3lbs Dark Dry ME
1lbs Chocolate malt(steeped)
structure grains
High quality cocao
chili powder to give it a bit of a bite
and a bit of honey

I havent put much thought into the hops yet. I want it to be hoppy but for it to not over shadow the complexity of the malt.

What do you guys thing I want it around 7% ideally.

I was grading papers and wanted to take a break, so I ran your ingredients through TastyBrew. Assuming that you use everything, and that this is a five gallon batch, here's what I got:

OG 1068
FG 1017
ABV 6.6
SRM 50

Which puts this in the range for a Foreign Extra Stout. The cocoa and chili might complement that nicely. Relying entirely on dark extract, however, is going to give this a very (probably unpleasantly) roasty flavor. You might consider using these ingredients in two different batches (I'm assuming that your dark LME is two 3 lb. cans) by buying an additional couple of cans of light LME and some light DME. So if you used the following:

3 lbs. of light LME
3 lbs. dark LME
1.5 lbs. light DME
1.5 lbs. dark DME
0.5 lbs. chocolate steeping grains
cocoa (not much)
chili powder (less than that)

Add 1 oz. of Goldings or Fuggles hops for a 1 hour boil, 1 oz. Fuggles or Goldings at the 30-minute mark, and 1 oz. Goldings at with 5 minutes remaining. That would give you about the same OG (1062) and FG (1016), a slightly lighter color (SRM 45), a good bitterness (IBU ~35-40), and layered flavors without so much of the excessive roasty quality that too much dark extract can give. Plus it lets you taste one batch before committing to a second, so you can experiment some.

Ok I think i will lighten it up a bit. I am aiming for a beer varient of the Mayan drink chocolatl. Chocolatl Stout!

Thanks for the help and links guys.

DFH made a brew like the stuff Montezuma drank by the potfull. I forget the name. but you might find a recipe for it.

carapils, flavorless dextrinestyle malt that adds, body, foam retention, and stability.

at least that is what the bag says!

Gunna take a look at those links myself. This has always been a curiosity. I often wondered how close Sam got it,or what he may've added that was common at the time,etc.
*After looking at #1 & #3,I think the 3rd one shows promise as being closer to what the Spaniards tasted with Montezuma. Sounds & looks like a nice fall brew though.

Back