Quick fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinese

Reaction score
I am harvesting a Bell's Two hearted yeast. It built quite nicely with the first starter. 3-4 days later(after it appeared to stop) i put it in the fridge. I made a new starter(2 cups h2o, 1/2 cup DME) boiled for 20 minutes - brought down to about 80 degrees. I had pulled the erhlenmeyer out of the fridge earlier . . . As the yeast neared room temperature I poured the "beer" off, and joined the two. The stir plate ran for about 4 hrs. The next day the top blew off the flask(so my wife said) by noon. When I got home from work (6:00). The fermentation had slowed tremendously. The next day(today) there appears to be no action at all. Could the fermentation have only lasted 12-20 hrs? Should I feed it again tonight?

I am harvesting a Bell's Two hearted yeast. It built quite nicely with the first starter. 3-4 days later(after it appeared to stop) i put it in the fridge. I made a new starter(2 cups h2o, 1/2 cup DME) boiled for 20 minutes - brought down to about 80 degrees. I had pulled the erhlenmeyer out of the fridge earlier . . . As the yeast neared room temperature I poured the "beer" off, and joined the two. The stir plate ran for about 4 hrs. The next day the top blew off the flask(so my wife said) by noon. When I got home from work (6:00). The fermentation had slowed tremendously. The next day(today) there appears to be no action at all. Could the fermentation have only lasted 12-20 hrs? Should I feed it again tonight?

How big was your first starter? How many ml of yeast would you estimate you had at the end of the first starter?
How long a starter takes to finish depends very much on the quantity of fermentables and the number of initial cells in the starter to consume it.
Depending on the above it is possible it finished in 20 hours.

I started with no visible yeast . . . Just the bottom dregs of four Bell's Two Hearted. I added the starter and over 3-4 days it grew to a solid(I would guess 1/8 of an inch) yeast film. It now is settled to about a 1/4 inch yeast cake. Should I add more starter and then plan to brew this weekend? This is a first here.

Before I could offer meaningful advice I would really need to know approx how many ml of yeast you have now and what OG your planned brew is.
Flasks come in different sizes and depth means little without knowing the flask size.

Latest posts

Back