I put dark brown sugar in a brew for the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shedbrewery

Reaction score
So I am fairly new to brewing.

In this hard cider batch, I added about 2 cups normal sugar, than, aiming for a higher alcohol content, I intended to put a 3rd cup. However, I am out of white cane sugar, so I used dark brown for the last cup.
On the box it says "100% cane sugar", though it is dark brown.
It was sort of all clumped together in a brick, so I shredded it up and out it in the brew.

Does anyone know if my brew will turn out fine because I used white cane and brown sugar, let alone the dark brown sugar? Thanks.

In a cider? Yea that is totally fine. The only thing I would have done is boil the brown sugar with a little water to dissolve it and to sterilize it (although I don't think you have to worry about contamination really).

liquiditynerd said:
yea its just cane sugar with molasses. I use molasses in my recipe.

jglazer said:
In a cider? Yea that is totally fine. The only thing I would have done is boil the brown sugar with a little water to dissolve it and to sterilize it (although I don't think you have to worry about contamination really).

Thanks guys!

Back