Is this Beer Good? No. Scotch Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArkotRamathorn

Reaction score
2# 2-Row Pale
2# Marris Otter
1# White Wheat
7# LME Amber
.5# Crystal 120L
.5# Black Patent (Steep)

1 OZ Domestic Hallertau (60 Minutes)
1 OZ Cascase (50 Minutes)

Mashed at 150 for 30 minutes, 1.5 gallon decoction at 30 minutes (I was losing temp too quickly in the mash so I just sort of did whatever I thought would work fastest to get the temp back up). Steeped the black patent for approximately 20 minutes at 165ish. Was having a hard time cooling my wort so after getting it under 100F I dumped it in the bucket and I had to jet to meet up with friends for dinner (figured it would cool off enough for pitching). Pitched the slap pack after I was at the bar for a couple hours. The first 7 days we had some nice warmish weather so it stayed pretty close to 70-72 each day, then we got some snow in May (yup, Wisconsin...) and my apartment was sticking around 58-62 each day so the bucket stayed pretty cool during that time, the gaslock has slowed down by that time anyway. I did a gravity reading on day 12 and saw it was at 1.020 so I knew it was time to bottle soon (bottled on day 15). When I pulled the beer for a gravity reading on day 12 I noticed it was still fairly cloudy. Just a couple days later when I bottled it cleared up a lot in that time frame.

Just finished bottling this today, I pulled a couple shots of it to make sure there were no major off flavors. I was going for a very strong toasted flavor with caramels/toffees and roasted nuts, some notes of toasted bread. There's definitely a strong boozy character to it right now though this may mellow with time. I'm really curious how this turns out and ages in the bottles.

I've done a Mr. Beer extract (pre-hopped) kit before this one, and I felt like I wasn't working hard enough for the beer, so I decided I really wanted at the very least to do a partial mash (I figured if I used some LME or DME I would give myself a little leeway on my efficiency during the mash). Definitely learned a lot during this first experiment. First thing, break out the couple 6 dollars and get a graduated cylinder to do an OG reading, as far as I know right now my original gravity was 1.200 (I thought I had a tall enough and thin enough glass, hydrometer hit the bottom, I must've managed to make a 30% beer...). I also just sort of winged it on this, I'm calling it a scotch ale because thats the yeast I used. I dub this beer "Is this Beer Good? No."

Cracked open the first bottle. I know its early and its green still but, its my first beer and, I've waited too long at this point, I have to know if I screwed something up.

Surprise, I managed to not screw it up (not completely). It pours a little dark for style but I'm not too concerned about that. Nice silky tan head that dissapates, some minor lacing. Strong nose of booze, some hints of raisins and caramels. Very forward booze character, lots of roasted nuts, some hints of coffee and chocolate. Though its definitely a green beer right now, the booze flavors sometimes slap you and you think you're drinking a shot of sake. I'll be moving a lot of this to storage and hopefully when I'm giving it away to some friends/family they listen when I say, don't touch them for at least a month.

I love brewing beer.:mug:

Back