Ants!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bk082789

Reaction score
So I have a Cream Stout that when I checked it last night there were some dead ants in the sanitizer in the airlock. My roommate expressed concern that they may have tracked in traces of chemicals from ant traps that we placed around the house last summer.

I was planning on throwing bourbon-soaked oak chips in for secondary, but now I'm starting to think I may just want to save the Maker's Mark.

Anybody have any insight or thoughts on risk (besides protein influx)

Thanks!

-Brian

I really wouldn't worry. What do you use in the airlock? If you use vodka, they wouldn't be able to make it far.

Could have been worse...

Oprahs-Bees.gif

RDWHAHB, batch will be fine even if the ants got in(which I highly doubt), by that time there should be enough alcohol to kill anything they bring with.

chumprock - my teacher said that every time an archer clip is posted in a forum, an angel gets it's wings.. or maybe it was when a bell rings, I don't remember, that was a long time ago; anyways, thanks for making me laugh

My roommate expressed concern that they may have tracked in traces of chemicals from ant traps that we placed around the house last summer.

Don't sweat the insecticide issue. There's nothing on the market now that would hurt you if you ate the whole package. A couple nanograms picked up on the feet of an insect and then diluted in a batch of beer would have about the same effect on you as an eyedropper of food coloring would have on the color of the Mississippi River.

If the insecticide was all that effective the ants wouldn't have made it to your airlock in the first place. You might try to find a good pest control company!

Back