Rhizomes in pot, what size. Onlyfor a year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
I got a few rhizomes about 6 that I want to plant on pots for a year until I have space to transplant next year. How many to a pot and what size pot per plant?

I cannot comment on the sized pot you would need to sustain the rhizomes for one year. However, if you have the space available, could you "nursery" them in your yard for the year instead of using pots. Basically you'd just plant them in a temporary location for the year and transplant them to their permanent location next year. I've done this with grape vines with good success - of course, you'd need to have a spot you could use for the year.

I've seen plenty of images of hops growing in pots. I would think the largest pots you could deal with would be best, building a good strong root stock is what allows next year's crop to produce!

How big do most plants from rhizomes get on their first year?

How big do most plants from rhizomes get on their first year?

It really depends on growing conditions, variety, and vitality of the rhizome. My cascade (a vigorous grower) created a small bush the first year (3 foot diameter and a foot tall) while my golding grew two small 1 foot bines the first year - they were planted about 5 feet apart from each other in the same flower bed.

Also depends on what you're trying to do.

If you're just looking for survival or a head start for next year, you could probably get away with as small as a cubic foot or so per rhizome, maybe even a bit smaller. Hops are stubborn little bastards, they'd survive (and probably literally fill that cubic foot with roots). They wouldn't be happy, though, and you probably wouldn't get much of a harvest.

If you're looking for yield, you'll wanna go bigger. I got two or three dried ounces out of my first-year potted Centennial last year in a pot that's about 10 or 12 gallons, but, like St. Pug said, growing conditions also factor in -- I get a lot of sun, and have 20+ vertical feet for it to climb.

I grew a chinook crown in a 5 gallon bucket with potting soil last year and it did just fine. Even got a couple ounces out of it. You can sometimes get 5gal buckets at restaurants or grocery store bakeries for cheap. Maybe not the best long-term solution if your main goal is yield, but it will certainly do for the first year.

+1 on the 5-gal bucket!

For the first year it's fine. Just drill a whole lot of 1/4" holes in the bottom for drainage and you'll be all set. Don't be surprised if some roots find their way through the holes though.

I have a ton of those large Rubbermaid storage containers. I needed up using those with homes in the bottom

image-239743533.jpg

Attachments

• image-1362047764.jpg
    image-1362047764.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 152

Latest posts

Back