HELP HBT! Measure your Keezer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thadius856

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a thread where I do nothing buy measure up, determine configurations for, and make 3D drawings of chest freezers. I do this so you don't have to haul kegs down to Home Depot or while checking out a CraigsList find. Also, because chest freezers are becoming increasingly a special order item, or a no-display-model (in a box) item.

It's a rather lengthy process, but I do it because I spent way too long sifting through tons of outdated, decentralized information trying to select the perfect model freezer for my first keezer build. If you'd like to see the fruits of my labor, the link is in my sig.

Unfortunately, I've run out of chest freezer models locally to measure. I need your help, keggers!

If you own a keezer manufactured within the last ~10 years, then your measurements could help other HBTers tremendously. In the chart below, if the row isn't complete (or missing entirely), then I'm missing the measurements.

Here's what I need (bolded items are critical):

1. Brand Name, Capacity and Model Number
2. Colors Available
3. Availability
4. Everyday Pricing
5. Exterior Dimensions (excluding hinges)
6. Interior Dimensions
7. Compressor Hump Size
8. Special Features (if any)

Example:

1. GE 14.9cf FCM15SUWW
2. White, Black
3. In-store, Online
4. $489 @ Lowe's, $499 @ Home Depot, $515 @ Sears
5. 48-5/16" W x 29-5/8" D x 36" H
6. 42-7/8" W x 22-1/4" D x 30" H
7. 9-5/8" W x 22-1/4" D x 10-5/8" H Note: If it's easier for you to measure the space from the hump to the lid, that's fine too. Just note that.
8. Thermostat control has a refrigerator setting that runs the unit at 38ºF without the use of an external controller.

I have a Kenmore (Frigidaire) 19.7

Exterior
35" Height
27.5" Width
61.5" Length
Interior
28.5" Height 29.5" with it removed and replaced with FRP board
22.25" Width
56" Length (overall)
46.75" Length to Hump
18.75" Hump Depth
9.25" Hump Width
Can fit 14 five gallon kegs on the floor (no collar) 2 three gallon kegs on the hump. That's how I set up mine anyway.

I have a Kenmore (Frigidaire) 19.7

Exterior
35" Height
27.5" Width
61.5" Length
Interior
28.5" Height 29.5" with it removed and replaced with FRP board
22.25" Width
56" Length (overall)
46.75" Length to Hump
18.75" Hump Depth
9.25" Hump Width
Can fit 14 five gallon kegs on the floor (no collar) 2 three gallon kegs on the hump. That's how I set up mine anyway.

Thanks!

The hump depth is a little confusing here. You're saying it doesn't span the full width like most do? Here's what I drew up for it.

Capture.jpg

Um.....what's wrong with just using the sticky we have? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizing-your-chest-freezer-corny-kegs-75449/

That's the one most of us have used since the sticky was first put up....When I was shopping for mine, I didn't find any, in any store that wasn't in that sticky, and told me how many kegs it held. In fact at one of the stores I was at the sales guy never knew you could make a keezer from one, and after we looked up the thread on his tablet, he actually walked around the store calling each of them up. I mean it's cool you're doing it, If you want to take the time....but that thread has worked great for years.

I used that thread too. The problem with that thread is mainly that it's incredibly disorganized at this point. I spent a solid 40 hours taking notes, re-reading posts, getting pissed at the search function, and thought there should be a better way.

Most of the models in the first 5 pages are no longer in production and aren't available anymore.
I wanted to buy the freezer before the kegs, and that meant I had no kegs to confirm how many fit when there were contradicting posts.
All of Ed's pictures show pin lock capacities.
Searching is difficult because most people don't mention the model number.
They don't account for configurations other than ball locks and, sometimes, pin locks (no love for the Sanke folks).
Very few make mention of capacities when used as a fermentation chamber.
It's not usually clear what the minimum collar size you need is for a given setup when going that direction (as opposed to a coffin).
Many posters fail to mention whether the capacity they report leaves room for a CO2 tank or not.

Don't get me wrong. That thread is chock full of information, even if there are some holes missing. I'm just trying to fill in those holes and make it easier to digest.

Back