switching keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve50

Reaction score
if i have a keg tapped in the kegerator can i untap it tap a new keg(different beer style) and then retap the previous keg with out ruining the 1st keg? Or can I purchase a Tubing kit to connect to the 2nd keg and pour out of that one and not touch the one in the kegerator? Hope I am clear in my quests. Thanks , Steve

if i have a keg tapped in the kegerator can i untap it tap a new keg(different beer style) and then retap the previous keg with out ruining the 1st keg? Or can I purchase a Tubing kit to connect to the 2nd keg and pour out of that one and not touch the one in the kegerator? Hope I am clear in my quests. Thanks , Steve

Yes, you can change out the beer lines and it won't affect the beer at all. Or you can get a T connector and put gas on both if you want. Or a second beerline set up on the second keg.

SO I can carbonate 2 kegs keep 1 in the fridge then switch them if I choose to drink something different on a different day/ wkend. Just need to hook up to the co2 tank and go correct?

I would think that it's fine to take one "out of service" for a while so long as you leave the pressure in it and keep it cold. I haven't had to do it myself yet since I run 3 faucets.

Are you planning on leaving a beer line/picnic tap on it or swap that out too?

I've done this on many occasion. The only problem i fret about is having to dump the first few ounces moving through on the re-tap. Depending upon the size and length of the beer line, it may be too wasteful an alternative for some.

I figure on removing the tap line and just placing it in the fridge. If I ran a picnic line from one that had been carbonated I would stil need to have some sort of carbonating to generate the pour, correct. Sorry for the million questions but I just purchased a keg system to set up on a old mini fridge that can only hold 1 keg. Purchased 2 kegs with the set up and just am curious

I figure on removing the tap line and just placing it in the fridge. If I ran a picnic line from one that had been carbonated I would stil need to have some sort of carbonating to generate the pour, correct. Sorry for the million questions but I just purchased a keg system to set up on a old mini fridge that can only hold 1 keg. Purchased 2 kegs with the set up and just am curious

Yeah, you'll still need gas to push it. Some would come out due to the pressure that's already in there, but your beer would begin to lose carbonation.

Back