Issues with thermostat in keg conversion from a newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bethjohn

Reaction score
So I'm not the most handy person in the world but decide to attempt a kegerator conversion with a Kenmore fridge...I'm not sure of the exact model. It went pretty well overall, but I'm having issues witht he temperature. It had one of those freezer compartments that I had to bend back to get out of the way to fit my keg in, and I moved the thermostat ever-so slightly (not enough that I had to extend the wires though). I'm afraid somehow in the process of moving things I screwed up the thermostat, because now the cooling coils never seem to shut off even when the thermostat is set on it's lowest setting. at first I thought it was maybe an issue with the sensor not picking up the temperature accurately enough, so I removed the little plastic thing around the tip and tried repositioning it a few times, but that didn't make any difference. When I turn the dial on the thermostat is seems to be moving in and out appropriately from a mechanical standpoint, and when i turn it all the way to zero it does in fact shut off. So I think maybe it's an issue with the wiring or the thermostat itself. I'm hoping someone with more experience can help me identify and fix the problem. Your help would be much appreciated! I'm attaching some pictures so you can see what kind of thermostat it is and whatnot.

Thanks!!!

Liz

DSC00931.jpg

DSC00933.jpg

DSC00929.jpg

DSC00928.jpg

I think it's probably because the temp sensor is used to measuring the freezer temp and now your trying to control a fridge temp. If you put the sensor right up again the coil then it could help. It did with mine at least

Thanks for your response!

Is the stc controller hard to install? I'm figuring i may just wind up replacing the thermostat is there's no easy fix I'm overlooking. I have tried repositioning the sensor right up against a coil, but it doesn't seem to help unfortuantely.

It's not hard. You can look up threads here. If you don't have any wiring experience or tools you may need to buy/barrow them. It's not too bad though. I have never wired anything and I did it just fine.

Mine went on the fritz after i moved it...took a few days of fine where the sensor should be to get it to work right. I hooked mine into the slits in the cooling coils the plastic holder was once attached to.

I did pick up this controller to install once i modified for two kegs or use it for a largering chamber.

http://www.johnstonesupply.com/storefront/product-view.ep?pID=L36-931

With the 8' sensor I can mount it anywhere in the chamber....even tape it to my kegs.

Now i will admit I am in the HVAC industry so stopping by a supply house is a daily occurrence.

Back