Lager Primary Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snisup

Reaction score
How long can you leave a lager at primary fermentation temps? I have a lager that's ready to go into the lagering stage but I'd like to brew another one this weekend. I have room for two carboys in my ferm chamber and I'd like to have a couple in there before I drop the temp down.

Is it Ok to leave a lager that has been going at 55 for 2 weeks for another 2 weeks while the other one finishes primary?

Your hydrometer, not your calendar, should determine your lager fermentation schedule.

If your lager has been fermenting for two weeks, it could very well be ready for a diacetyl rest, if you were planning to do one. 55 is warm-ish for a lager so you may need to do one. If you have reached expected FG or are within about 10 points, then I would suggest just removing your lager from your chamber, leaving it for maybe a few days to a week, then racking it to secondary. If you are still well above FG then leave it in there and remove it when you are ready for your d-rest.

Not everyone does a d-rest, but trying to "fix" an underpitched and/or warm fermented beer that develops diacetyl is a real pain. Lagers require you to keep an eye on your fermentation.

To answer your question more directly, after two weeks you should be done or nearly done fermentation if you pitched enough yeast. So take it out of your fermenter, leave it sit for a few days, then rack. If you have any reason to suspect you are not within 10 points or so of expected FG, leave it there.

Already did a d-rest. My question was: Will my beer that is ready to be lagered be adversely affected by another 2 or so weeks at primary ferm temps (50-55*)?

By no means an expert, but I feel like it will be fine. Its been two weeks, the yeast are done as you point out, then they should not do any harm.

My suggestion would be to go ahead and move the beer to your second vessel and get it off the yeast. Then you are just storing beer at 55 in a dark chamber. No harm in that, right? Then you get on with the traditional lagering when the other is ready.

Note to OsageDr: I just did a pilsner using 34/70, recommended temp range 51-57. I held it at 55 because I read the lower end of that range is where you might see diacetyl effects. I hit my final gravity in 8 days without a hint of diacetyl along the way.

Thanks scram. I read the same thing about s-23, so I went with 55* and a short d-rest for good measure.

Any more thoughts on this? I'm going to be brewing up the next lager this weekend.

Typically, you leave the beer in D-rest until it hits FG. So, you won't get the clarifying effect of the 55 degree temp, but it won't hurt.

Back