When shall I add hops?How do I know after how much time they can go into the wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
Hey everyone

I have seen in many recipes different timing for the hops to be added. I have no clue how to decide when exactly I add hops. Is there a way to learn it?

I have used an online calculator so I can calculate what IBU I want, but it is still confusing.

There are three general addition periods: early in the boil for bittering, mid/late boil for flavor, end of boil for aroma. IBUs are just a calculation of overall bitterness, a function of alpha acid content times length of time in boil. When you add the hops is based on the overall profile of the beer, types of hops you are using, and personal preferences. Lots of reading material out there, particularly in Palmer or Papazian's CJOHB.

Further to the post above, you can also do FO or Flame Out additions which is adding hops to the boil after the flame is turned off. These hops add more aroma. People leave these hops in while cooling (10-15 minutes) or much longer to impart more aroma depending on your hops varietal.

There is also Dry hopping. This is adding hops to secondary to again add more aroma. If you're a hop head you may end up doing "all of the above".

Your technique will be as important as your choice of hops.

Studying recipes on here wil def give you a feel for when to add hops. At the beginning of the 60 minute boil for bittering,25 down to 10 minutes or so for flavor,a few minutes left in the boil for aroma,like 3-5 minutes. I generally do pale ale additions at 20 & 10 minutes left. IPA additions start at 25 minutes left for me. It's not set in stone,but following these general times will get you going.

yeah, you basically just start a timer once the wort begins to boil. Set it for 60 minutes and add your first hops addition (bittering), then you make your later additions according to the recipe or as highlighted above as the clock ticks down. So when someone says "1oz at 10 minutes" they mean to add that amount of hops with 10 minutes left in the boil.

thanks a lot for all the comments. Now time has come to create the 1st recipe. :)

Back