I'm gonna do it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

half_whit

Reaction score
Well, eventually. I'm still making the ring, so I figure the process is going to buy me a little more time. However I end up doing it, it's gonna be epic. I'm just not sure how yet...

Anybody have good proposal stories? Either good "awesome" or good "terrible"...whatever makes for a good story!

Her family knows how to a throw a party. I could barely keep up at her sister's wedding and it was easily the most fun I've ever had at one

Im recently married. I have a few suggestions in planning the wedding.

1) Choose 1 thing you think is important, i.e. the beer. Have lots of input on the beer and talk about it every so often. You want to let her know you are interested in how the day comes out, but you want to avoid pitfulls such as being critical of her taste in chair covers. Do not, under any circumstances, agree to attend the flower consultation.

2) You are most likely not choosing what you are wearing. It is unlikely that anything you choose will match her motif and will need to be changed anyway. Limit your input to vague statements like "I dont know, red maybe?" and "Nah, I dont want a cumberbund" and you should be fine.

3) Prepare thyself, you have way more friends and family than you could ever imagine.

4) You are going to be nervous. You are NOT the person who should be responsible for holding on to the rings.

5) Your new mother-in-law is the person to go to if any of the guests make unreasonable demands.

6) Unless you or your new wife have children currently, adhere strickly to a "no children under 18" rule. They dont want to be there, and you dont want them there.

7) Day of, someone WILL offer you a drink before you get to the alter "for your nerves". Decline. Think its not a big deal? When your wife finds out you are toast.

1) Choose 1 thing you think is important, i.e. the beer. Have lots of input on the beer and talk about it every so often. You want to let her know you are interested in how the day comes out, but you want to avoid pitfulls such as being critical of her taste in chair covers. Do not, under any circumstances, agree to attend the flower consultation.

2) You are most likely not choosing what you are wearing. It is unlikely that anything you choose will match her motif and will need to be changed anyway. Limit your input to vague statements like "I dont know, red maybe?" and "Nah, I dont want a cumberbund" and you should be fine.

3) Prepare thyself, you have way more friends and family than you could ever imagine.

4) You are going to be nervous. You are NOT the person who should be responsible for holding on to the rings.

5) Your new mother-in-law is the person to go to if any of the guests make unreasonable demands.

6) Unless you or your new wife have children currently, adhere strickly to a "no children under 18" rule. They dont want to be there, and you dont want them there.

7) Day of, someone WILL offer you a drink before you get to the alter "for your nerves". Decline. Think its not a big deal? When your wife finds out you are toast.

Our cousin is getting married soon and said no kids allowed. I had never heard of such a thing before. Apparently it is a thing. He's still catching some flak for it. I don't care. It's their wedding.

My wife and I more or less eloped. It wasn't a total last minute surprise to everyone that we were getting married. We just got tired of all the planning bs and took off.

no kids allowed

Heh, wish they'd done that when I was a kid... hated weddings... still do...

Good luck buddy... I've heard a good ol' fashion 'Will you marry me?!' works well. :drunk:

Proposal story - must have been good.. cause she said yes.

Quick background.
I brought my country gal to the city. She wasn't a huge fan, but we found ways "out". One of our outs was a local apple orchard on the outskirts of town. We are big into fall & found ourselves making apple butter, sauce, etc..

Knowing her love of this orchard, we went to pick pumpkins from their field on a day in October. I had a friend go ahead of time, placing the ring in a carved out "will you marry me" pumpkin and I led her to the spot.

She of course said yes. We gave everyone apple butter who came to our wedding.

I just wish I thought of brewing my own cider from the orchards apples. We could have brought that to our party! oh well. I'll just have to brew some for my own enjoyment!! :drunk:

Hope this gives you an idea.
-Kris

#4: My sisters wedding, I had the rings. Damn near wore a hole in the leg of my tux pants checking for the rings every 45 seconds before and during the ceremony.

#7: Was a groomsman for a college buddy. Got in to town several hours before the rehearsal dinner, so we were sitting at his in-law's parents' house killing time. We were instructed to ONLY have 1 beer, and then had mints and gum shoved into our mouths as we headed towards the church. When we got there, the pastor explained to us that he was not against drinking, and would probably have one or two with us at the reception, but if he smelled the slightest HINT of alcohol on any of us prior to the wedding, we would not be participating. He instituted this rule after one of the first weddings he performed....when the best man puked on the bride 15 minutes before she was to walk down the aisle.

Don't propose in a river! Although nothing ever bad came of it, my anxiety wast rough the roof! I took my girlfriend on a 2 week trek from Bay Area Ca to Boseman Montana for a friends wedding. On day 2 or 3 we stayed in Zion Natl Park and hiked the Narrows which is a river that carved through sandstone. At certain points I had my back pack over head while wading through on my toes, all while hiding a ring! Everything went great, but moving water, diamonds, and trembling hands do not mix!

Oh and congrats! A ton of people will talk negatively about it, don't let them be around you- this is for the best chapter of your life and it takes guys to walk out on that plank, congrats..... And god speed! (J/k)

I drank a six pack before the ceremony, I know my wife had a few, all the groomsmen were drinking and my best man was loaded! Everything turned out fine, everyone had a great time, and there were no drunken mishaps. But by the end of the night we were all drunk and ended up at the local bar in all of our wedding gear. The bar paid for a Town Car to take me and my wife to our hotel and the rest of the party went back to my house and ate leftovers in the garage. I don't like to brag but my wedding was the most fun wedding I have ever been too.

1. Great advice. I was married last October and I took control of the bar and the band. Awesome party and she felt like I was involved and helping out.

3 & 6. These are together. I tried to find as many ways to have people say that they could not come while still inviting them, as possible. This is only a slight exaggeration. Much of the cost of the wedding is per person and that person you have not seen in a decade is not that important, family or otherwise. 6 is HUGE. Why throw an adult party so that the dance floor is choked up by little kids. Sure there is a cute moment now and again, but overall DO THIS!!!!!

The others points are quality too.

Something I would add, if someone has an opinion that is not your fiancee and is not footing any part of the bill then their opinion is 100% disposable. Seriously, please your wife to be, yourself and your parents. Everyone else needs to work around you and your ideas, needs and wants.*

*This is not meant to be an excuse to throw out quality advice if it is provided. Also by your "ideas, etc." I mean your fiancees, get used to not having an opinion. Ever again.

As for my proposal, I planned a happy hour at a nicer restaurant with a group of friends that we regularly do happy hour with, then without any of them knowing it (or what I was planning), I asked a bunch of my rugby buddies to show up earlier and sat them in the back of the restaurant out of sight.

I planned it with the restaurant and at a set time had 11 of my friends walk up to my wife one at a time and hand her a rose, the 12th person was her best friend, which she loved as a special touch, and then I asked on bended knee. She said yes and everyone in the restaurant applauded. I heard a guy at a nearby table saying that I now had to top that for the rest of my life and laughed a bit inside. It was a pretty sweet plan and worked to a 'T'. I also had a buddy who is a photographer shoot the event.

I will say one thing, it is hard to plan a surprise proposal when you live with your girlfriend. That was half the reason for the elaborate plan.

I proposed to my lil' wife 36 years ago. We were going out to dinner and I asked her while merging onto the freeway in heavy traffic. I asked her if she would like to go to a wedding with me.
What wrong wid da beer we got?

Alright well I usually dont tell this story cause Im self conscious about how it sounds. I kinda went a bit over the top and always feel like it sounds like I'm bragging when we tell the how do you propose story...but I have been drinking so here goes.. lol

My wife and I had a difficult Courtship since her parents were against us for reasons I wont get into. So I wanted to make sure it was really special for her.
So I started by getting some help my a couple friends who are girls with great taste to help me buy an amazing formal dress, casual dressy outfit and a great pair of shoes and a nice set of earrings. I borrowed 4 real nice fancy box/ luggage looking things... something only a girl would have or be able to describe and separated the 4 gifts into those boxes. I got 5 hand made cards from a website dont remember which one, that had textured handmade hearts and stuff to go with each gift. I divided those gifts to her 4 best friends and in the morning doorbell ditched a basket with breakfast that basically hinted at the day being special and to stay home and expect a visitor from 12-4 every hour on the hour. at 12 I had her friends start dropping off her gifts starting with the formal wear every hour. I had person 3 bring make up gear to do her make up. and person 4 her best friend do her hair.

Than at 4:30 I met a limo outside her community and put in a music CD that had all the romantic songs of ours so it would be playing when it picked her up. I also Put a real nice handmade jewlery box inside the Limo that had the Engangement into inside of it on top of hundreds of rose petals. Also with her morning delivery I actually left the key on a necklace that said keep this key close to your heart since its the key to the day. I left and had the limo pick her up. On the jewlery box was a card that said read me. It said do not open the box but bring it with you to your destination. The Limo took her to a Winery that has an amazing tuscan style with arches and a small pond to walk over. They reserved a section for us with wine linen tables ect and even allowed me to put our future wedding song on the sound system. I had a photographer hidden taking pictures of the whole thing.

also my card in the limo said to follow the roses and she would find me. So I left a trail of roses leading over the bridge into our reserved area ending in the shape of a heart. They were kinda against the idea of allowing us to use real rose petals so I had to bring friends to pick them up right after the proposal. Anyways when she got there I was waiting and had her bring the box and took the key and open it and pulled the ring out and proposed. FORTUNATELY she said YES! I was so relieved since there is nothing that has ever made me more nervous. After the proposal we had engagement photo session than had dinner at the winery. They also let us tour the barrel room and take pictures on the barrels and stuff. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life.

Wow now you see why Im always against telling the story! It sounds so braggy! lol

To make a long story short lol... We have now been married for over 4 years and I still love this women to death. If you marry the right person it is amazing congrats in advance:mug:

P.S. as you can see i spent an absurd amount of time planning this thing out. If i did it again Im not sure that I would go so elaborate maybe something simple and personal like a place with memories. Granted it did give us both some amazing memories so i dont know

Back