apricot ipa question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
making a simple ipa, then secodary on apricot puree. Do i need to add a pectin enzyme? Also, any tips on keeping it from being too dry?

Dude, I would say add it. More likely than not, you will need it so that the beer will clear. If not, it wouldn't effect it in anyway. In wines, I normally add it after I add finnings, then leave it 48 hours to settle. If you are not adding finnings, which I assume not, then just add the pectolase 48 hours before bottling or kegging. Whatever you are doing. :)

Dude, I would say add it. More likely than not, you will need it so that the beer will clear. If not, it wouldn't effect it in anyway. In wines, I normally add it after I add finnings, then leave it 48 hours to settle. If you are not adding finnings, which I assume not, then just add the pectolase 48 hours before bottling or kegging. Whatever you are doing. :)

Thanks. I have never used real fruit so pectolase is a new thing. I hope it has no effect on aroma.

Nope. Effects absolutely nothing. It does exactly what it says on the tin, and that is it kills off pectin. The pectin itself is more likely to produce off flavours rather than its killer. :) Maybe siphon some off into a jam jar first along with some of the fruit, then buy some more pectin from the supermarket and make yourself an apricot beer jam? Then clear the rest. Haha

Back