Best yeast for blue moon clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schwibbidy

Reaction score
I'm doing my second all grain batch with a bluemoon recipe that I like but I can't decide on the best neutral yeast for this brew. I dont want alot of different flavors to come from the yeast i want it neutral, I've been reading on here and it seems like WLP400 or Wyeast 1056 are recommended, any thoughts?

i agree with revvy that the witbier yeast would make a tastier beer, but the OP asked for a neutral yeast so 1056/wlp001 is probably the right way to go. blue moon is witbier'ish but the yeast is indeed too clean to be a true witbier.

Safale WB-06 is worth looking into if you go dry.

I used it in a cream ale (because homebrew) and it fermented down below 1.01 (hydrometer bottomed out in tube), and is gave a wheat beer like profile to it.

I fermented in mid 60's , and will be using it again this weekend for a lemon wheat beer, and fermenting in the high 60's/low 70's to get more of that ester flavor profile.

Back