Brewing in San Diego

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikerobrewer

Reaction score
Hey everyone. My name is Mike and I'm living in San Diego, home to tons of awesome microbreweries. I started brewing last year when a buddy of mine sent me a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas. Now I'm hooked and am moving out of the Mr. Beer to a 5 gallon system. Still a beginner but all of these forums and Palmer's book have helped me get oriented. Planning a few trips to my LHBS to pick up some things to get my system started in the next few weeks. Cheers, and brew on my friends!

Welcome to the addiction. I'm in San Diego also. There's a great community of homebrewers here.

Are you guys part of any clubs? I'd like to meet more people to brew with.

Where in north San Diego are you? I'm in Vista. Personally I like mother earth for supplies.

The one in miramar is the worst (name withheld). No selection (fewer than 10 varieties of grain, poor white labs and hop selection), hand crank mill, RIDICULOUS prices on hops, yeast, and grain (like $3 + per pound of GRAIN). $6 for pack of US-05, $9 for a white labs vial, and more for platinum strains? White Labs is literally (like, actually literally) ACROSS THE STREET. Plus, an old school owner with plenty of bad advice to give out. Also, no AHA discount.

Unfortunately it's the closest shop to me, but there are too many good shops in SD to go there, so I drive.

Welcome to the group, you are certainly blessed to be in homebrew heaven. Stone Gardens may literally be beer heaven, I just went to the Reagle Beagle and fell in love with that place.

daksin said:
The one in miramar is the worst (name withheld). No selection (fewer than 10 varieties of grain, poor white labs and hop selection), hand crank mill, RIDICULOUS prices on hops, yeast, and grain (like $3 + per pound of GRAIN). $6 for pack of US-05, $9 for a white labs vial, and more for platinum strains? White Labs is literally (like, actually literally) ACROSS THE STREET. Plus, an old school owner with plenty of bad advice to give out. Also, no AHA discount.

Unfortunately it's the closest shop to me, but there are too many good shops in SD to go there, so I drive.

Agreed! Hate that shop.

thats funny you say that...i am new to home brewing & i live right down the block from that place.... first time i went in he was going off about how everyone is wrong, then the next time i went there he was running the same rap to someone on the phone, then he hung up & proceeded with his bitterness spiel to me.....

i really like the guys down at 'the homebrewer' in north park. george is so helpful & really makes the whole experience pleasant.... but i am sure there are a lot of great places around this town

Quaffman said:
Where in north San Diego are you? I'm in Vista. Personally I like mother earth for supplies.

I live in Fallbrook. I usually go to the murrieta homebrew emporium. I get a club discount there

Off Topic,,,,,,,Drop that name in Miramar, I would. If I was in the area and did not know about his prices I would stop in. But if I ever come across that place in Miramar, I'll just keep on going. If we pass on the name he might have to lower prices.

I entirely agree with you daksin. I refuse to go there, so I drive to Escondido(from Mira Mesa) to the smokin' beaver. Absolutely love them!

Welcome to the community Mikerobrewer!

Fair enough- I've had enough bad experiences there to call him out.

The shop is American Home Brewing Supply. Used to be in Kearny Mesa but moved. Right across the street from the White Labs production facility/tasting room.

I entirely agree with you daksin. I refuse to go there, so I drive to Escondido(from Mira Mesa) to the smokin' beaver. Absolutely love them!

Welcome to the community Mikerobrewer!

I had a horrible experience at the smokin' beaver. He was too busy commenting on facebook to give me the time of day.

I live in Fallbrook. I usually go to the murrieta homebrew emporium. I get a club discount there

I've been to that shop. Pretty cool dudes. I've only had a chance to get up there once though.

I bought some supplies from smokin beaver today. The girl they have working there is nice and pretty knowledgeable. One of the owners is cool, but I agree, the other one sucks. Not sure which is which though.

Gonna do the centennial blonde for the first time this week.

went there today (American Home Brewing) and purchased some things,,,,,I was the only one there.....I'll go back again if I'm in the area

I just picked up a couple airlocks. Mymain mission was to go there and check the place out and maybe buy something. I asked him how was the business and he said slow. I'm gonna bet he won't be there a year from now. If he was in a better location......

I just picked up a couple airlocks. Mymain mission was to go there and check the place out and maybe buy something. I asked him how was the business and he said slow. I'm gonna bet he won't be there a year from now. If he was in a better location......

It's slow because of him. Home Brew Mart is always packed. This guy tried to convince me that a plastic conical wasbetter than a stainless steel one. When I showed him the data regarding oxygen permeability, he proceeded to tell me that the research was all wrong. My biggest problem with the guy those is his attitude towards the military. I asked if he gave a military discount and he told me he'd never give one because "there are too many military personnel in SD and they are all idiots". This guy is a tool!

Seems homebrewmart is a love it/hate it proposition. I've never had a single problem and prefer to shop there, but I've heard the same thing a number of times.

Ask for George if you get attitude. That's BS and he wont put up with it. :mad:

You talking about Homebrewer on el Cajon or home brew mart in Linda vista?

I like both places, have been going to Home brew mart for 12 years now, and have always got good service and good advice. And an honest critique of the beers I have brought in for them to taste.

I go to Homebrewer on El Cajon mostly now, I like their grain selection better, and George the owner is a cool dude. Excited to see what comes out of their new brewhouse.

I'm right down the street from American. The prices are definitely steep. I didn't have a problem with the guy when I went in; he seems alright, just old school. He didn't seem to really know what I was talking about either time. The first time I went was the first time I was ever making a beer-like drink, Graff, and he had never heard of it so he couldn't offer any advice. The last time I went in was about 2 weeks ago to get some random stuff that I had seen he had the first time around (energizer, specialty grains, bottle caps which were like $9 for 144 probably shouldn't have bought those but oh well, etc.). He was trying to push a conical on some guy when I came in; maybe it was one of you guys. He asked what I was doing and I didn't bother mentioning the SkeeterPee since I assumed he wouldn't know, but said I was bottling a reasonably known brand clone. He didn't seem to know what it was though by the look on his face.

I think next time I will try Smoking Beaver. Anyone been to Best Damn Beer Shop? They supposedly have some hop varieties I want (according to their Craigslist postings), but parking looks bad of course.

Looking forward to visiting 2kids often, btw, as it is only a few minutes down the road.

You talking about Homebrewer on el Cajon or home brew mart in Linda vista?

I like both places, have been going to Home brew mart for 12 years now, and have always got good service and good advice. And an honest critique of the beers I have brought in for them to taste.

I go to Homebrewer on El Cajon mostly now, I like their grain selection better, and George the owner is a cool dude. Excited to see what comes out of their new brewhouse.

They are both named George aren't they, LOL! I was talking about HBM. I do like the grain selection at Homebrewer too. Really cool place.

Ill have to give a thumbs up to "The Homebrewer" off El Cajon. Hands down best service I've gotten and if I'm not getting it online, that's the place I buy from. Great selection of grains, hops, yeast..everything. The guys in there are very helpful as well and I'd promote his shop any day.
Cheers!

I always remember first impressions........and the one time I went to The HomeBrewer and HomeBrew Mart, both visits were thumbs down. No need to give them another chance as I am happy going to All About Brewing and Ramona Brewing Supplies

Update: I gave them a second chance and all is well.

I love homebrewmart. They have excellent quality on all grain, yeast, and hops. The workers may be a little arrogant but will answer any question you have and will help you build a recipe. I just wish they were closer to me. I live in North County SD so they are too far....

Hey, I'm in vista too, love Mother Earth brew shop. Been brewing for about 6 months, there is a new home brew club in vista. Went last night it was great.

Cheers

Back