Boston brewers! where to get co2 refill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
I bought a new tank and dont want to exchange it i want to fill it. Where near Cambridge will do this? Airgas is swap only.

Arco Welding Supply Co., Inc.
1200 Eastern Ave
Malden, MA 02148
Toll Free 800.969.9436

A little outside Cambridge, but they will fill while you wait.

Found a place in Watertown. $18 while i wait. Oh man this is going to be great!

Thanks didn't know about that forum. Quick question though, if my natural carb doesn't carb enough, can i fix it with co2 from my tank? Also, what do i do if it carbs too much?

You didn't actually use the word "keg" in there, but assuming you're kegging, then yes, you can definitely bring an under-carbed keg up to snuff with a CO2 system. Refer to our friend the beer carbonation table, find your beer temperature, decide how many volumes of CO2 you desire (hint: many pales and IPAs are satisfactory around 2.5 volumes) and the table will tell you what CO2 psi to use.

Otoh, if you used too much priming sugar and end up with an overly boisterous brew in a keg, don't compound the problem by connecting it to a CO2 system, just pop the keg PRV (or the gas poppet, if your keg doesn't actually have a manually operable PRV - like most pin locks) every time you think about it for a couple of days, then briefly hook up the gas and beer lines and draw a sample.

If it's too bubbly, disconnect everything, immediately release the head pressure, and keep on releasing head pressure for another day and check again.

Eventually you'll tame the beast, and if you overshoot and flatten it a bit too much you can then use the CO2 system to bring it back up to par...

Cheers!

You didn't actually use the word "keg" in there, but assuming you're kegging, then yes, you can definitely bring an under-carbed keg up to snuff with a CO2 system. Refer to our friend the beer carbonation table, find your beer temperature, decide how many volumes of CO2 you desire (hint: many pales and IPAs are satisfactory around 2.5 volumes) and the table will tell you what CO2 psi to use.

Otoh, if you used too much priming sugar and end up with an overly boisterous brew in a keg, don't compound the problem by connecting it to a CO2 system, just pop the keg PRV (or the gas poppet, if your keg doesn't actually have a manually operable PRV - like most pin locks) every time you think about it for a couple of days, then briefly hook up the gas and beer lines and draw a sample.

If it's too bubbly, disconnect everything, immediately release the head pressure, and keep on releasing head pressure for another day and check again.

Eventually you'll tame the beast, and if you overshoot and flatten it a bit too much you can then use the CO2 system to bring it back up to par...

Cheers!

This is great. Thank you so much.

I know you live in Watertown, but for anyone else in the Boston area looking. I don't live in the area anymore, but in wanted to help out.

Tolman Welding Supply in Southie.
61 Dorchester Ave, Boston, MA 02127

The people in there are awesome. Fill was $19 last time I went in 2014.

Back