Thin body on a wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
I've been doing experiments using BIAB for small 3 gallon batches, and so I brewed a 50% wheat beer recently. It turned out quite soon body which I did not expect.

1.053 Og, 1.013 FG, mashed at 155, 50% MO and white wheat. A touch of C60.

it's a nice light summer beer but needs more body. I'm not sure I am going to brew this again but I like other brewers experience with wheat beers - do you normally and up with less body? Frankly I was expecting it to be little thicker with a relatively high mash temperature plus the Marris otter and of course all that wheat...

Yeah, seems odd with the grain bill, high mash temp, and FG. Wheat beers are typically medium light to medium body.

Is the beer carbonated yet? Proper carbonation can alter the perception of the beer's mouthfeel. You may also want to double check that your thermometer and/or hydrometer are accurate.

My wheat beer I make is also 50% white wheat and it usually comes out very dry, even when I mash at 155F. I do use 1/2 lb of oats in 5 gallons to help with the body issue but it still ends up tasting like a spiced lager after it ages a few months. Still a great summer session beer but it's not what I'm aiming for.

Interesting. Yes this is quite dry and all my instruments are calibrated. If I do it again I'll mash at 160 - I'm not sure about oats but I suppose I can deal with this somewhat cloudy. This one is aged a couple if weeks and is quite clear. Not bad but not quite what I expected!

You can also think about using some flaked wheat as well as flaked oats to improve the body of this beer. I have made some higher percentage wheat beer from the formula: 50% pale malt/2-row, 40% wheat malt and 10% flaked wheat while mashing at 154 F with very good results.

Back