Help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friedpicklechips

Reaction score
I'm trying to go as cheaply as possible. I've built an electric control panel based off of Kal's, but I don't have any 220 power to my garage. Electricians I've had come over quote me around $600. What are some other options? Generator? Cough up the dough? Anybody wanna do some cheap electrical work in Council Bluffs, Iowa for beer?

Kinda shot yourself in the foot by already building the panel with what I assume are 220v parts. What I did was I used 2 separate 120v circuits to drive two 1500w elements in my BK. Do you have a 220v electric dryer in a basement? If so you could brew down there and feed off that line.

If neither of these work you may have to cough up the cash.....I have quickly learned that this isn't a cheap hobby.

The garage is about 50' from the house. My dryer is gas powered. And I don't think I shot myself in the foot, I just need to adjust fire.

It's not that hard to do the wiring. You could easily do it yourself for cheaper than $600. Just make sure you read up on your local codes so its done right. Also, realize that the 10/3 romex is not sure cheap, I think like $2 a foot so 50+ feet to install I your garage is going to cost a little bit

It's not that hard to do the wiring. You could easily do it yourself for cheaper than $600. Just make sure you read up on your local codes so its done right. Also, realize that the 10/3 romex is not sure cheap, I think like $2 a foot so 50+ feet to install I your garage is going to cost a little bit

So thats going to be $100 for the cable just to the garage, say another $40 for cable in tha garage (don't know where it is going), lets say another $150 for parts like CB, GFCI, Elec panels, JBs. That is just under $300 for parts, $300 in labour at $45/hr is 7 hours of work. So a day to install it all seems right?
If you DIY you will still need to pay for the parts, then I don't know of your local regs but would you also need a sparky to sign it off before connecting to the main panel?

mattd2 said:
So thats going to be $100 for the cable just to the garage, say another $40 for cable in tha garage (don't know where it is going), lets say another $150 for parts like CB, GFCI, Elec panels, JBs. That is just under $300 for parts, $300 in labour at $45/hr is 7 hours of work. So a day to install it all seems right?
If you DIY you will still need to pay for the parts, then I don't know of your local regs but would you also need a sparky to sign it off before connecting to the main panel?

Thanks mate. I've got another "sparky" coming over next Monday to take a look. Don't trust myself enough.

Thanks mate. I've got another "sparky" coming over next Monday to take a look. Don't trust myself enough.

Slip into the conversation that the power upgrade is for you homebrewery upgrade, you might luck out and find a beer snob sparky that might cut a deal for a sample of your beer :D

or even trade some work for a brew day and 2.5G

of course, this assumes he isn't a creeper...

theknub said:
or even trade some work for a brew day and 2.5G

of course, this assumes he isn't a creeper...

The last guy was kind of a creeper. But I could part with 1/2 batch of home brew in exchange for a discount.

Decided on not running power to the garage and will put in an outdoor outlet attached to the house. Had an electrician come over and quote $200 for parts and labor. WOOT!

Oh man. Thats not a bad price but you don't know an electrician? I'm putting two 220v outlets and a 110v line outside for $0 in parts and labor.

mikeysab said:
Oh man. Thats not a bad price but you don't know an electrician? I'm putting two 220v outlets and a 110v line outside for $0 in parts and labor.

When it comes to my families safety, I'd like a professional to do the work.

my GF and i are looking to move in together and she's looking to buy a brand new place (i already own on the other side of the country)... i'm campaigning for the new house with the basement (i'll negotiate a 220 into the contract somehow). granted, what i am thinking is the best deal is, it's just her getting to buck up (paid over 45K in taxes last year and needs to get in the game)

Back