Leaving bottling bucket overnight with priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

durbo

Reaction score
So I went to bottle my beer today. Added the priming sugar and to the bottling bucket. But when I went to put my bottling mechanism onto the spigot I couldn't find it. Is it bad for my brew to just sit in the bottling bucket ready to go for a day or two?

The yeast will start fermenting that added sugar. You'll need to wait for stable gravity readings again and then start the bottling process over with new priming sugar.

Yes,it'll start to ferment out the priming sugar,& you'll have to prime it again.
This is why I re-purposed an old large printer stand as a fermenter stand/ storage unit. Everything in one place so I can find it.

You should be fine... just get it in there...

Remember it take a week or so to carbonate... BUT: You may have lost a bit so expect it to be lower carbonated than you had planned...

OR you could leave it there, let it bubble away for a week, and prime it all over again... If you are pretty confidant of your sanitation...

Thanks guys. So if I prime again, say tomorrow, should I use a lower level of priming sugar (I used dextrose)? I guess my calc is going to out of whack now. Or will it be best to just leave it for a week and start over?

Guessing at this stuff is what leads to bottle bombs. Either package it immediately or wait until it ferments that sugar and is stable again. Anything in between is just asking for trouble.

Yeah I had bottle bomb and plenty of gushers on my last brew and I do not want that to happen again. Maybe I'll just wait until next weekend and try again :(

Back