Regulator Leak???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lombard

Reaction score
So I've been chasing a slow leak in my kegerator for a while now. 5 lb CO2 tank used to last for several months, now I'm down to a few weeks.

I use 4 Micromatic primary regulators tied together in series (check out this link.

Anyway, I finally got sick of chasing the leak with soapy water, so I filled up a bin with water and dunked the whole regulator bank. I quickly found a leak between one of the fittings and a regulator body. Disassembling the reg bank proved to be challenging...required my benchtop vise and prodigious use of some channel lock pliers. It was bad enough that the fittings got damaged during disassembly.

Anyway, I put the whole assembly back together using couplers between the high pressure ports on the regs.

Repeated my dunk test with the regulator bank and discovered that now all the regs were leaking through the hole on the reg body that bleeds off excess pressure when reducing regulated pressure. Figured maybe the fiber washers got damaged.

So I bought repair kits and new fiber washers for all four regs. I just finished rebuilding them and now there's an audible leak coming out of the same bleed hole on one of the regs.

I've disassembled and swapped parts around between regs and the same leak happens on the same reg every time.

Think I managed to damage the main reg body during my disassembly?

Well, I've been fighting it for a while.

I kept swapping parts and discovered that one of the rebuild kits was no good. Didn't narrow it down to a specific component. I did finally kill the audible leak. Took everything apart, and reassembled one more time.

Dunked it all one more time and found a few small leaks through the same holes on the reg bodies. Dried everything out, reassembled (again) and tightened everything down a bit better. It finally held pressure for about 10 hours.

Re-mounted the whole reg bank on the plywood backer for the kegerator. Re-pressurized, and now I'm waiting to see how it all plays out. I'm hoping it all finally holds pressure.

Long story short, I've got no idea why the regs decided to leak and after several rebuilds, I'm hoping it all works again. There were signs of corrosion and since the kegerator was a moisture magnet, I'm going to use a bunch of desiccant to keep it dry in the future. Assuming it holds air, I'm gonna call it good.

Back