What is OG listed on recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerandguitars

Reaction score
Hello,

I am checking my first batch of Oatmeal Stout (purchased a partial mash recipe kit) on the 11th day of fermentation in primary. The specific gravity on day 9 was 1.012 and today (day 11) it is as well 1.012/1.011. My question, is on the recipe it has the OG called out as 1.049...can anyone help in what OG is and whether or not 1.012 is a normal measurement at the end of primary? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

OG is the "Original Gravity", and the difference between that and your FG (Final Gravity) is a way to measure the alcohol content. Try doing a google of "OG FG calculator".

edit: OG of 1.049 and FG of 1.012 is reasonable.

Yes, 1.012 is good for an Oatmeal stout. And since you have the same SG two days apart, I'd say it's done. Now, leave it for another week or so to do it's 'magical yeast cleanup'.

Hello,

I am checking my first batch of Oatmeal Stout (purchased a partial mash recipe kit) on the 11th day of fermentation in primary. The specific gravity on day 9 was 1.012 and today (day 11) it is as well 1.012/1.011. My question, is on the recipe it has the OG called out as 1.049...can anyone help in what OG is and whether or not 1.012 is a normal measurement at the end of primary? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

OG (original gravity) is the specific gravity before the wort ferments.
FG (final gravity) is the specific gravity when it's finished fermenting.

A FG of 1.012 is pretty common, so likely your beer is finished fermenting.

Back