IIPA Nightmare Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHound12

Reaction score
1st mishap:
So yesterday I brewed up a hopslam clone and had several mishaps during the brew day. Because of the grain bill that totaled 20 pounds I missed my mash temp of 150 and at first it only reached 140. I then quickly boiled water in the microwave and got the mash up to about 143. 20 minutes into the mash I added a nice big pot of boiling water which brought my mash temp up to the desired 150. I then mashed for another 60 minutes, the mash in total was 90 minutes. Reached 1.096 when my expected was 1.098.

2nd Mishap:
I pitched a little high at 78 (im in florida) and expected it to cool overnight in the swamp cooler. Things didnt go as planned and this morning it was fermenting at 78 so I immediately moved it into a wine cellar which brought it down to 65.....

So my question is how much will the three stage mash affect the beer and will the 8 hours of fermentation before it reached proper temp give me some off flavors or did i catch it soon enough??

Thanks!

I wouldn't sweat the three stage mash at all. You basically did a step mash in the low range so you should end up with a dry beer, but for an IPA that's what you want so should be fine there. In fact going 90 mins isn't all that unusual especially when mashing low like you did, so it actually was a good thing.

Fermenting high in the early stages is likely to throw off more esters, diacetyl, and fusel alcohols. 78 isn't TOO high though so I don't think the yeast would be stressed to the point of difficulty. Just make sure you let the beer sit in primary for 2- 3 weeks or so after fermentation finishes to let the yeast clean up the early by products from slightly high fermentation temp for the style. It will still be good beer!

What yeast did you use? Some are more forgiving than others at those kind of temps. I wouldn't worry about your 1st mishap.

Thanks for the feedback! I used 1056 with a 3 liter starter I'm planning on keeping it in primary for a month and then dry hopping so hopefully that will give the yeast enough time to clean up the esters and diacetyl's. Just did a smell test though and I culdnt pick up any off aromas but i'm sure its way too early to tell. I'm planning on getting a pond pump for my next brew so I can run ice water through the wort chiller near the end so hopefully this wont happen again.

Latest posts

Back