All brett starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandelf

Reaction score
How long does it take for brett to settle out in a starter. It will not be in the frig (Chad Y), rather a 65 F basement.

crashing in a fridge isn't going to reduce the vitality (or at least not enough to matter)

A few days once fermentation is complete.

If you don't cold crash, the yeast will remain in suspension until the sugar is fermented out, whereas if you cold crash, you halt fermentation and then drop the yeast. You could cold crash after a couple of days and be done in another day or so. If you don't cold crash, you can be waiting a couple of weeks.

Well according to Chad (Crocked Stave), his research (extensive) showed brett basically finished by 8 days. He has also stated more than ounce to never refrigerate a brett starter. That being said, I have been doing a two step starter to derive an appropriate (lager) cell count. That has been working well for me. This time I'm doing a 4 liter one step starter with two packs of brett. So, I would like to decant most of the beer.

He has also stated more than ounce to never refrigerate a brett starter.

can you please point me to this quote? i've heard this said a bunch, but have never seen it directly from chad. I've made starters from washed brett stored for months in a fridge (and crashed said starters) with no issue, I can't imagine that a day or 2 cold crash would cause a problem

can you please point me to this quote? i've heard this said a bunch, but have never seen it directly from chad. I've made starters from washed brett stored for months in a fridge (and crashed said starters) with no issue, I can't imagine that a day or 2 cold crash would cause a problem

The first time I heard him state that was when I talked to him at the 2011 NHC in San Diego. I also emailed him shortly before the GABF last year, although it took 2.5 months to hear back from him. He stated he was doing his best to catch up form the overwhelming interest in brett and Crocked Stave. I will need to listen to it again, I think it's also in the Brewing Network podcast (http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/866) he did?

From my notes on Chad's recommendations are 10 plato wort, lager cell count, pinch of yeast nutrient, acidify to <= 4.5 pH, 8 days and no frig. I should add that this is for an all brett beer where lag time IS an issue. I remember him specifically stating that following this procedure, resulted in HIS all brett beers reaching terminal gravity in <= 4 weeks. Chad also added the Vinnie Cilurzo's all brett beers can reach terminal gravity in as little as 10 days. I asked Vinnie about the 10 day turn around time; he smiled and would only say it was the result of high pitch rates and a multi-generation house strain.

On a side note, my daughter lives 1.5 hours east of Russian River so I have been their a few times and I had the opportunity to meet and discuss brett with Vinnie also. In fact I have a pic, his wife Natalie took of Vinnie and I. PM me and I will send it if you question that?

FWTW

I will need to listen to it again, I think it's also in the Brewing Network podcast (http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/866) he did?

he does mention it in there. I must've missed it when I listened in the past (it is 4 hours after all). Around the halfway mark it comes up with the listener questions. He states that he saw his refrigerated brett lose all viability in 6 months, whereas his room temp ones are still going. He also says that he sees sacchro die in the same timeline if not quicker. so maybe you will have more cells keeping it warm, but a cold crash isn't gunna wreck it.

he does mention it in there. I must've missed it when I listened in the past (it is 4 hours after all). Around the halfway mark it comes up with the listener questions. He states that he saw his refrigerated brett lose all viability in 6 months, whereas his room temp ones are still going. He also says that he sees sacchro die in the same timeline if not quicker. so maybe you will have more cells keeping it warm, but a cold crash isn't gunna wreck it.

I agree somewhat, it will not be detrimental. But when a clean fruity fermentation is desired, it's a questionable avenue to take. I will be using Brett L. for the sour pie cherry flavor. Since I live in NE Wisconsin, I pick up some Door County Montmorency cherries (non-pitted = ~tannins), which are first macerated and then frozen prior to secondarying. I have also added varying amounts of the same pure unsweetened and no additives juice.

On a side note, I have experimented with brett fermenting under pressure. For me, increased pressure equals increased funk. I fermented on all brett 2.5 gallon batch in a corny keg under 15 psi. It finished in 3 weeks and had a significant amount of sweaty horse, no sour pie cherry. I'm all about the sour pie cherry thing; something like New Glares Raspberry Tart, Enigma & Belgian Red.

I'll be curious to hear how that works out. the sour cherry pie flavor has always eluded me in my brett beers, but Brett L is the only one I haven't done primary with. the others have always been clean & fruity, brux trois being significantly more fruity & tropical than the others. I do have a mixed starter of B & L, but I havent got around to doing a primary with it, just secondary usage.

Latest posts

Back