Why did you get into this hobby?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How did you get started in this hobby?

• I had a huge vat of honey and needed to do something with it!

• I ilke to build things. Someday, I'll finish my build-out and start brewing.

• I wanted to grow a large, unkempt beard and figured this was the perfect cover.

• I wanted to release my inner Dr. Frankenstein!

• I like to keep the neighbors guessing (and gossiping!)

• The smells from brewing and fermenting keep everyone out of my man cave - as it should be.

• I drink so much that I figured this would save me enough money to retire on.

• I wanted to make an exact clone of my favorite craft beer. After 3,500 gallons I'm almost there.

• I needed a new hobby and this was #1 on my Google search.

• It meshes perfectly with my anal retentive attention to detial.

Results are only viewable after voting.

mcbaumannerb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone has their own reason for getting into this hobby - whether is is beer, mead, wine or all the above. What drew you in?

For me ... friends gave me a push, but then it was all about letting my inner Frankenstein out and experimenting with styles I like - and some I'd never tried.

I guess for me the main reason is that I got interested (aka jealous) when my friend showed me his setup. So I got a kit and started brewing. So I guess building things is kinda what I like to do but primarily building recipes and using my chemistry and cooking passion.

I started brewing because I discovered that you could actually do it yourself and didn't need to have a deep understanding of the dark arts.

My friends bought a Mr. Beer kit, I didn't have anything to do with it. When we finally tried their finished product it ranked somewhere between vomitus and vile. So I wanted to do it better, bought my first kit from northern brewers website and haven't looked back.
So thank you Mr. Beer.

Started back in 2005 when I owned a beer store. I fell in love with Belgian beers and decided I was going to be the next Ommegang brewery. Plasma cut the tops of 3 kegs and away I went. I've been off to the races ever since.
After I had kids though, my dreams of brewing full time has dwindled to whenever I have a few hours to mash something in. I don't get the chance as often as I would like but I refuse to go down without a fight! :rockin:

For some reason I find it entertaining when neighbors gossip about if what I am doing is legal or not. Their reaction is the best when they finally ask what I am doing after it has all been hyped up and out of proportion.

The reality is I like tinkering with cars/truck (auto tech by trade) but that takes too much time away from being a family. Brewing beer has some time flexibility, keeps me at home and gives me the satisfaction of making/doing something with real results.

I had a small amount of discretionary spending and wanted to remedy that in a hurry.

My girlfriend had a professor that brewed and she thought it seemed cool so I bought her a starter kit from the lhbs for her birthday. Two years later the kit sat untouched in her moms garage so I decided to try my hand at it. Amazingly the beer was drinkable despite the very old ingredients. At least I had the good sense to keep them refrigerated.

A lhbs opened up in town and I would walk by it during day and gaze into it and at thay moment I knew what I wanted for my 21st birthday.

My parents were sick of going to the beer store with a list of what brews to buy for me so when I turned 21 they bought me a starter kit and said, "make your own damned beer."

I also have a Biochemistry degree. I love beer, and I'm very interested in bioprocesses, so it's a great fit. I've had two jobs in the fermentation bioprocesses field (one at a chemical plant and the other in cellulosic ethanol development) and I honestly just can't get enough. Unfortunately, now I work at a chemical company making flavors and fragrances where I can't play with bugs, but I am learning a lot about the chemistry of taste and smell. I also really enjoy growing vegetables and I am interested in growing my own mushrooms (the food kind). To me, brewing is just an extension of my appreciation and curiosity of the living world.

My family has brewed for generations, it just is a family tradition that keeps going.

I was cooking a Shrimp boil in an 8 gallon pot, the guys said "that pot and burner would be great for brewing" two kits later; I'm welding a brew stand for AG.

I love beer and I love to cook. Home brewing is like combining the two. I like the freedom to make what I want and tweak it to my liking.

I was always intimidated by the idea of brewing but then my friend, and up north neighbor, showed me it isn't that hard and even told me what to buy so that I could get into it with minimum money invested. (In case I didn't like it). One batch and I was hooked. I immediately went to kegging and jumped in with both feet.

I'm lucky since my neighbor and mentor turned his love of the hobby into an official business and started a nano brewery. As his brewery has grown, I get some hand me downs on equipment.

I did nothing to get into this hobby. My parents gave me a kit (minus the actual brew ingredients) to bottle a batch way back in 2000. I bought a DME kit a few days later and I've been going strong since.

I was having a few crappy, commercial beers with my brother-in-law one Sunday afternoon. I never really drank much beer because I considered beer to be tasteless and generally, quite bad.
We somehow got into talking about why we were drinking this piss and why all beer tasted the same. My father-in-law, who is a winemaker by trade, suggested we try make our own beer. At first we thought that it'd be too difficult to do, after all, if beer was easy to make, more people would be doing it. The seed however, had been planted. Later that night I Googled the subject and was blown away by how easy it all seemed.

I didn't know of any LHBS in the area. In fact, I didn't even know that such a thing even existed. I went to a super market the next day, hoping to find ingredients. When I couldn't find anything there, I went on the hunt and eventually found some dried extract in a health food store. I couldn't find any hops or yeat so I made beer with only extract and some bread yeast. Needless to say it tasted crap and was undrinkable but that experience put me on a path in a search of better beer. I eventually bought some ingredients online, made one or two extract beers, enjoyed them but realising I could do better, made the jump to all-grain. It's now 7 years later and I've enjoyed every minute of creating great beer.

My brother-in-law though, lost interest after that first failed batch. He still drinks comercial pig swill.

On a budget in college(for lab related degree "go yeast")and decided to make lots of beer instead of bar hopping drinking a little bit of crap beer. Cause bar beer is dollar wise a lot more costly than ingredients. 10 bar beer or ingredients for 5G. That's easy math even for a college student.

I thought brewing would be fun for many years and my grandfather did a fair bit of winemaking. My stepson homebrews and has turned out some wonderful stuff. I finally decided to bite the bullet, invest in a bit of equipment and take the leap. Plus, I like beer and I figure, after the setup costs, I might save a bit of money in the long run and have a bit of fun while I'm at it.

Archaic beer distribution laws and ridiculously high prices. Why play by ridiculous rules and spend way too much?

For me, it saves a ton of money.

Everytime I have a home brew I am sticking it to the man. That is right no sin taxes just state taxes on ingredients. Same reason I roll my own smokes as well

I was reading up on beer history and desired to have a better understanding of the process that I would need to do it .
I started out all grain and love it .

Billy-Klubb said:
Family tradition since prohibition.

As far back as I could find my great grandfather was brewing while still living in Germany and continued when he moved to the U.S. in the early forties. Don't have but a couple of his recipes but have a few of my grandfathers and uncles.

I like to tinker and tweak things to see if I can improve them, or make them worse in a good way (soured beers for example). This gives me an artistic outlet.

saw a video of Craigtube. looked pretty easy, lower cost then buying beer in Canada, and looked like a fun project. had no idea it was this additive nor did i know i would drink as much as i do now. Plus i continue to buy more brewing related items.

beer is 44 dollars for 24. let the brewing begin! also i alwyas liked the dark beers but was alwyas made fun of by buddies who only drink bud light.(crap light) now i can have the bitterest darkest beers for a cheap price.

South Africa has a terrible choice of beer. There is only one local commercial beer that is not fizzy yellow beer, thats castle milk stout which is actually not bad.

We have a growing craft beer industry thats making a lot of nice flavour filled beers and their versions of fizzy yellow. Sadly these are very expensive and not very freely available.

Learning to brew allows me to make beers that I like at a price that's almost within budget.

I was 16 and had nice beers when I was in England with my grandfather. Got back to California and couldn't get anything other then the cheapest stuff someone else would buy. So I took my dads brewing kit he used once, and started buying grains and making my own. Even the cheap juice bottle wines I made back then were better then whatever everyone else was buying.

Now that I am older the big has bit me again.

As far back as I could find my great grandfather was brewing while still living in Germany and continued when he moved to the U.S. in the early forties. Don't have but a couple of his recipes but have a few of my grandfathers and uncles.

as far back as I've heard in my family is my great grandpa brewed quick beer & liquor during prohibition. I don't know much about him though. but my grandpa & granny made their own beer for decades.

I wanted to drink the beers described by Tolkien and James Herriot

Yeah, Herriot did mention some very tasty-sounding beers.
I always liked the bit when the guys are deciding where to go to celebrate the new baby and Tristan is cataloging the different pubs according to the flavor of their beer. Makes me want to do a crawl and try them all, lol.

Yeah, Herriot did mention some very tasty-sounding beers.
I always liked the bit when the guys are deciding where to go to celebrate the new baby and Tristan is cataloging the different pubs according to the flavor of their beer. Makes me want to do a crawl and try them all, lol.

I remember that, that was great! :ban: :mug: Also, it was actually one of the characters in Herriot's books that made me realize beer could be made at home. He mentioned an old farmer that shared a his "nutty brown ale" that he had made himself. I thought, "hmm... if this guy did it in the 30s, I should be able to as well". I went to a bookstore and found Papazian's book and soaked it up like a sponge. That was 1989.

Back