Nelson and Motueka single hop recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeneugs

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of doing a 10 gallon batch of American Pale Ale and splitting the wort in half, doing two seperate boils and hopping one with all Nelson Sauvin and the other with Motueka. I'm shooting for a dry, lower gravity pale ale here to really let the hop character shine. I thought a side by side comparison with these hops would be interesting.

Anyway here's the recipe:

40% Pilsner
39% American 2-Row
11% Malted Wheat
5% Melanoidin
5% Flaked Oats

Mash at 149 F, fly sparge and boil for 90 minutes. Hop additions:

Nelson: .5 ounces 20 minutes
.5 ounces 10 minutes
1 ounce 5 minutes
1 ounce 1 minute
2 ounces at flameout
3 ounces dry-hop for 7 days

This should give me about 32 IBU's with all late hopping. I'll use the same schedule for Motueka except .75 ounces for the 20 and 10 minute additions to match the IBU's.

Yeast: WLP001 Starting gravity 1.047 Ferment at 65 F to a final gravity of 1.010 ABV 4.9%

What do you think?

Use a saison yeast and your in business. ;) Seriously though, looks good. Great idea. Would be fun to try, I love both hops.

Do Motueka and Nelson Sauvin compliment each other? I am thinking about using both as late hop additions this weekend in a pale ale.

Back